Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Barnes612

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
I found this one a bit dull, but not as dull as Adil Ray's from the previous week.

Was it her dad who handed her an exciting envelope or folded over paper? I was expecting it to contain something really precious and interesting, not a recent copy of a birth certificate!

The celebrity seemed nice enough although  I had no idea who she was prior to the programme.

The first three of the series I found equally enjoyable, so looking forward to a couple more good ones at least. :)
WARBURTON, WOODS, BARNES, HAWORTH: Haslingden, Lancashire
GIBBONS: Oving, Sussex
OAKLEY: Bunbury, Cheshire
LANKENAU: Vegesack, Bremen

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 August 17 15:31 BST (UK) »
I found it dull about the English roots and too predictable about the Irish roots. Given the absence of many Irish records the Irish stories often resort to the same familiar themes using well known historical events to add drama. No substitute for the lost census records showing the lives of ordinary Irish people who came and went about their business without such drama. 

Blue

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
I had no idea who the girl was and although she seemed interested in her family history and actually looked up some details herself.....

I'm afraid I almost lost the will to live and I did fall asleep during part of it as it was very boring!

I think someone in an earlier post referred to the making of a programme with just a joe soap wouldn't necessarily be very interesting, I felt pretty much the same about this one.

Sorry, have enjoyed all the others, especially Charles Dance, hope next one will be improvent on this last one,

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Willis nee Griffiths - I hoped early on in the programme that we might be told about a Welsh connection, but there were more interesting and contrasted fish to fry over the water; ah well, fingers crossed for Lulu . . .  ;D

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 25 August 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
It is always a rare treat when WDYTYA find themselves in Ireland (where all my known ancestors lived). Usually it means the ancestors are landed ascendancy but it was a double jackpot Emma having a relatively famous catholic ancestor too.

I thought it was a bit cruel to apparently make her read out the gruesome crimes of her Dunlavin ancestor in the manner they did.

Fair play to Emma for taking such a revelation on the chin.

Gerry

'A rare treat'?
Hardly, there are usually at least one or two stories about Ireland in each series of the UK programme.

Offline DOGS GONADS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 September 21 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello

Only just seen this thread

Emma GRIFFITHS is my second cousin, briefly what to her was her “Granny GRIFFITHS” was Edna GEBHARD, Edna was baby sister (by around 21 years!) to my grandfather Clifford John GEBHARD (but always known as “Jim” - don’t ask!)

I sat down with the researchers of the programme for many hours and supplied them with various certificates, charts, photos etc

Whilst I agree with some of the criticisms of the programme I don’t agree with them
all.

As for Emma and her parents I can tell you for certain that the love of her home city is 100% genuine and that they all still have their feet very much on the ground