Author Topic: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis  (Read 4870 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: "Who Do You Think You Are", Series 14: #5 Emma Willis
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
Why didn't she ask the researcher where the photos of the great greats came from?  I was shouting at the TV telling her to ask!  .... or did I miss that bit?

I came across the occupation "Inspector of Nuisances" for the first time just last week when I found someone lodging with such a person.  Had to Google it to discover the day to day work they would have been involved in.

Offline Bearnan

• RootsChat Member
  • The boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed this episode, Emma obviously loves Birmingham like I do, it's home. Her ancestors lived on the same streets as mine at around the same time.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 August 17 22:56 BST (UK) »
Why didn't she ask the researcher where the photos of the great greats came from?  I was shouting at the TV telling her to ask!  .... or did I miss that bit? [/quote

So it wasn't just me who thought that ::)

Nice person and voiced her emotions about her beloved city and how she felt about 'liking' or 'not liking' what she heard/found out about an ancestor  and I could empathise with those feelings
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline mulvenna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 August 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
It is always a rare treat when WDYTYA find themselves in Ireland (where all my known ancestors lived). Usually it means the ancestors are landed ascendancy but it was a double jackpot Emma having a relatively famous catholic ancestor too.

I thought it was a bit cruel to apparently make her read out the gruesome crimes of her Dunlavin ancestor in the manner they did.

Fair play to Emma for taking such a revelation on the chin.

Gerry
MULVENNA, McGAREL, MATTHEWS, MORROW, GIBSON, ROBINSON, McKAY (Co. Antrim); O'CONNOR, MULLAN, PERRY, CAMPBELL, COWAN, McGUIGAN, HUNTER (Co. Derry); McCRORY, MULGREW (Co. Tyrone)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 August 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Yes - an interesting programme

xin

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:42 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this. I smiled several times. I have ancestors from Birmingham and Ireland, so was interested. I was particularly intrigued by the Registry of Deeds in Dublin. Also Emma did not seem to realise that John Grenham is the author of a definitive guide to Irish genealogy! 8)
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this. I smiled several times. I have ancestors from Birmingham and Ireland, so was interested. I was particularly intrigued by the Registry of Deeds in Dublin. Also Emma did not seem to realise that John Grenham is the author of a definitive guide to Irish genealogy! 8)
Kooky

The Registry of Deeds is a brilliant place, though everything is now online (family search)  The books are copies but still very old.... the original deeds with signatures and seals are kept under lock and key. If you find one that is significant to your family, you can order a copy of the original... It used to cost €20, but that was quite a few years ago now. 
It's worth looking, tenants are mentioned in them, but you need to search the place name rather than grantor name.  Landowners and gentry can have literally hundreds of Deeds to their name.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 August 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
Most of the way through but not riveted by it or I would have watched it all in one go instead of a bit at a time.  Not one I would want to watch again although I do like Emma.

Charles Dance has been the best one for me so far this series.

I agree with Millipede on this one  Anna

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 August 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
Was looking forward to this one, but couldn't get into it, but the thing that annoyed me was when the baby was found at a different address than the parents (the hair dealer) and it was assumed that it had been sent away from the dirty yard to live elsewhere, without saying that the census is just who was in the house that night, the baby could have been watched by a friend /relative etc and back home the next morning :)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher