Author Topic: Christ Church Cemetery, Ironville  (Read 1001 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
Christ Church Cemetery, Ironville
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 16:39 BST (UK) »
I edit the village newsletter. The Church Warden is writing an article for the Parish Church in relation to family history and the church. He asked if I could find a very old picture of the cemetery to go with his piece. I came across the picture below from between 1900 and 1910. Could someone work their magic upon on it to make it clearer, perhaps adding a little colour.  Zoom in on the woman by the graveside.  This was a popular thing they did on postcards at that time, they would 'hide' a figure in the photo to give it a ghostly character, usually a woman or boy. Notice the big knobbly waste embankment?  Truck load after truck load used to empty onto that spoil heap, during the 19th and early 20th century.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Christ Church Cemetery, Ironville
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
The image quality is not so great so couldn't do to much. I tried to sharpen just the central area where it looks like the figures/people are. Otherwise just added some colour tones and light effect. Hope that helps a little.
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for having a go Martyn, Much appreciated.  I am using it in the village newsletter and I just wanted to make it clearer for the readers. I will have ago to see how it works.
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline MartynS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for having a go Martyn, Much appreciated.  I am using it in the village newsletter and I just wanted to make it clearer for the readers. I will have ago to see how it works.

Well drop me a pm if you need something and I will try and help if you need some kind of other effect/border/something to help fit in the newsletter...
Restorers : Please do not use my restorations without asking my permission first. Thanks.

Good quality size scans will mean much better restores >> hint hint :-)

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 13:22 BST (UK) »
Simple b&w edition:

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 13:49 BST (UK) »
That is sharper and clearer japeflakes - Many thanks Andy

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 23:26 BST (UK) »
Two versions here, slightly different tones
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 17 08:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Trishanne. Much clearer.  I plan to take a present day photograph of the scene to compare and these look good to go with it.  However, the conifers in the picture have now grown very tall blocking out much of the view!