Author Topic: Brighton Pratt family  (Read 3537 times)

Offline WFReum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brighton Pratt family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 September 05 05:20 BST (UK) »
I do not have an Arthur that I know of. 
Pratt Hollingham Sayers Sussex

Offline Canuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always seeking info on EVE Family in Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 September 05 18:50 BST (UK) »
Just an opinion being offered here.  I've always found passenger lists (and I've scrolled through plenty of them) highly over-rated.  They are very hard to read, no indexes, and the alphabetical order is dodgy.  They also give you a very limited amount of information.  The port of entry is seldom where the person stayed.  Even when they say they are carrying on by CPR (the railway) to someplace else, often that's only another stop.  I'd save my time and skip the passenger records.

I would however order his complete military records from the National Archives.  They can tell you a phenomenal amount--where he was all through his campaign.  Put this together with the War Diaries which are on line, and you get a really clear picture of the war years.

Another thing you can get that gives you a lot of information is his 1942 National Registration.  In 1942 all Canadian Residents had to carry a National Registration Card.  That meant they had to submit a lot of data to the government to prove who they were.  We were very worried about enemies in those days.  You can get this info from the National Archives.  Very valuable but rather pricey.  Your call.

If you get to Toronto,  you'll probably get an even better lot of information there, and they are remarkably helpful. 

Try this website.  Lots of help for you to sort your research trip, so you don't waste time.

http://www.islandnet.com/~jveinot/cghl/ontario.html
EVE, CARTER, HADLOW, BONES, all between Faversham and Canterbury, Kent, England

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 September 05 20:00 BST (UK) »
I am not sure what you are wanting here but I found John and Emmaline Pratt easily in the 1901 census.  He was born Brighton and she was born in Shoreham.  (not far away)
RG13 942 F91 p26
18 High View? Villas Preston Brighton
John Pratt Hd  25 Painter in factory b Brighton
Emmaline wife 27 b Shoreham
William Steer?  Boarder 19 b northumberland
Fanny Bradford  visitor 18 b Brighton
If you want look ups for them in earlier census reocrds then put them on the Sussex board and I am sure someone will find them for you.
Andrea

Offline lily-pond

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 September 05 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Frank
I was born in Brighton.I have checked 1891 census and found John age 15,do you want this information,or have you already got it.
Maralyn

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 02:53 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you havn't had much luck with passenger lists Penny.   I thought it was wonderful when I found my great-grandmother on the ship she came with.  It is nice to know when she arrived, how much money she had and it stated where she was going to meet my gr-grandfather which confirmed another part of my family research.  If it wasn't for the passenger list I also would not of known that her sister had travelled with her on the journey here to Canada.  In my research I can now put a picture of the ship she travelled over on.     

The National Registration is good, but I believe you need to know the exact address of where they were living at that time, which makes it difficult and like you say it's a little expensive.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 October 05 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

The National Archives of Canada (NAC) holds immigration
records from 1865 to 1935. 

Ships are on the reel, in order of arrival. You can find the
details at this URL

http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html

Unfortunately the records before 1925 are not indexed. To
find a passenger you will need to know an exact date of
arrival.

There is no easy way to search Canadian arrival records for
this unindexed period other than reading microfilm

If you want to order filmed passenger lists (remember they
aren't indexed!), a  list of NAC microfilm numbers for
passenger lists to Canada 1865-1922 can be found at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_can1865.shtml
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore