Author Topic: Oh dear! A Smith conundrum  (Read 1214 times)

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oh dear! A Smith conundrum
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 17:25 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if anyone is in a position to help me but there were a couple of John Edward Smiths living in North Shields at the turn of the century 1900s - one the son of John and one the son of Thomas.  The only thing I do know is that the one I want married Christiana (or Christina) Peacock in 1911 at Christ Church parish.  If anyone is able to access the parish records and could tell me which John Smith I am chasing I would be most grateful.  I am doing this for a friend so am reluctant to purchase a certificate.

Any help most gratefully received!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear! A Smith conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
You haven't given details of which quarter the marriage took place in to help narrow any search
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
Mea culpa, no I didn't, sorry - it's the December quarter.  I think Christ Church is North Shields

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I accessed the film of Parish Marriages today at North Shields library:

John Edward Smith, age 25, Coal Fireman, or Teemer?, of 48 Rudyerd St. Father Thomas Thompson Smith, a Plater Married Christiana Peacock age 21, of 50 Norfolk Street, father Briton Peacock, a Tailor. Witnesses were: Edwin Hopper and May Hart Peacock.

Regards,

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline action49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Oh dear! A Smith conundrum (solved, thank you!)
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:52 BST (UK) »
Trini, you are an absolute star! Thank you so much!!! So, it was dad Thomas after all!

Cheers
Angela

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 08:33 BST (UK) »
Nice one Trini that's sorted that one out for action the rest will be a doddle Thomas Thompson Smith is  easily spotted on the census returns now that you have posted the marriage details
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,