Author Topic: Ancestry DNA shared matches  (Read 757 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA shared matches
« on: Saturday 05 August 17 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello  .
I am a match with my friend's son, her husband and her but we can't work out the connection.   But the problem is that they are distant matches ...  closer to her husband than her.....we believe we are connected through a small village and she has this evening found another match with the son of a girl who used to be brought to our house to play when we were kids ! But I can't see the connection on mine and of course Ancestry only shows 4-6 cousin matches and does not search for the surname of the DNA match but of people in their tree as far as I can see.
There is no way to download the matches so I have a feeling that I literally have to input them all in a preadsheet and the she will have to do the same.   

Does anyone have an easier suggestion please ??

My cousin has recently had hers tested so hopefully we will at least now what side the connection will be.
Thank you

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA shared matches
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Upload your DNA results and pedigree tree to GEDMatch and FTDNA.  Get your friend to do the same.  It won't cost you anything and I believe you'll be able to download your matches from FTDNA.  The list won't be exactly the same as your Ancestry one but it will save a lot of typing.

GEDMatch has a "people who match one or both" tool and FTDNA has "in common with", either of these may help clarify things.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
You may never know as DNA can give away secrets :-X

On 23andMe, where I had my DNA analysed, my nearest match other than my daughter is a Frenchman. He's my 2nd cousin and he doesn't understand how he has a British 2nd cousin. From what I've read - if I understand what I read - his line is from one of my great uncles, some in France WW1. :o

I may be able to find which part of the family he is related to, can discount paternal grandfather's brothers as 2nd cousin doesn't connect with others who are linked to the family, same with maternal grandmother's brother, he never went to France and died 1915 anyway.

The French cousin is making enquiries of the older generation of his family. :o

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much - will chat to my friend again.
Nesta