Author Topic: Improvements for Louisa Evans, Sofala, Aust??  (Read 1675 times)

Offline Leend

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Improvements for Louisa Evans, Sofala, Aust??
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello ... I recently had an opportunity to take a photo of a professional photo of Louisa, my great-great grandmother.

Am posting two versions of the same photo, one with original plain wooden frame (but which is slanting plus I didn't get all the frame in ... sigh!). The other photo I'm posting is where I zoomed close to her face. Neither are very good photos and the glass caused reflections.  :-[

But I'm hoping someone might have a go at enhancing the photo. Would prefer the original wooden frame to disappear and perhaps someone might like to use another border on the enhanced photo and/or add in a little colouring ... or simply make it sepia.

I also took photos of an original of her husband, Robert Evans as well which I will post next. The two photos were not originally taken at the same time as he was quite a bit older than Louisa.

I appreciate whatever help can be provided and many thanks ... Leend 

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Improvements for Louisa Evans, Sofala, Aust??
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:13 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Simple b&w:

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
I think that these portraits are not photographs, but pastel drawings. Good ones too. Against my better judgement, I have smoothed this one out a little but as they are works of art in their own right, personally I would prefer to see them left alone.........or just photographed as a record.

Offline Leend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot for your three versions Pat (Trishanne), and done so quickly too.

And also your's, Handypandy ... and your thought that both Louisa's and Robert's images might be pastel sketches (and not photographs) has blown me away. As I said when I posted Robert's photos, his picture has always seemed to be a bit of an 'odd' photo to me and this might be the explanation.

Would love to explore this idea further with Rootchat folk if its appropriate to talk about it here. So I wonder does anyone else have any opinions/comments/thoughts about them not being photos but instead pastel sketches??

Many thanks .. Leend

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
Two sepia toned, one with original texture, one smoothed. I really have no idea regarding the nature of the portrait, but strictly a layman's impression: I thought the face looked like a photo but the clothing not so much. I wondered if it was a photo that had been touched up. Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Leend

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 August 17 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your two versions Peter (McGregor) ... and now you've posed another interesting thought ... that the original picture might be a combination of photo and someone's artistic touch ups.

I am aware that old photos sometimes had coloured tints added in the past but if anyone can shine any light about how this particular picture of Louisa (and Robert's too if possible) was originally created, it would be lovely to understand more about it.

.. Leend

Offline pablo59

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
24////-(()()())

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 August 17 20:18 BST (UK) »
My opinion is that these are enlargements that have been touched up and as Andy has pointed out, some pastel over sketching has been applied to fill in the detail that has been lost in the enlargement of the photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU