Author Topic: Help please Toronto dead end  (Read 6674 times)

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please Toronto dead end
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all, relative beginner in overseas search so patience please.
My great uncle William Burnside b.1889 migrated from Scotland to Canada with his twin brother Robert in 1911. He fought in 14-18 war in France and Belgium (wounded at Passendale -death attributed to service) with 3rd Bttn Canadian Expeditionary force and in 1919 married Nellie (or Helen) Shewan in England. Both were shipped back to Canada and he died of war wounds 1923, buried in St John's Norway Cemetery Toronto. His address in 1923 at the time of his death was 813 Queen Street East, Toronto and i attach his obituary.
I have a photograph of him and his son who was born about 1919 which was sent to my grandmother and I am completely stuck there. Trying to trace his wife and son's movements thereafter.  I am also keen to learn what happened to his brother Robert
I have tried online sources but can't be looking in the right places, I am at my wits' end because all my other relatives in this line pretty much stayed put in East Scotland.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Best wishes from Edinburgh Ian Burnside(62)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Toronto dead end
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
It seems that after arriving in Toronto,(1911) he went to Detroit, (1912) returned to Toronto (1912) and after that? but there is a death in Winnipeg, Manitoba of a Robert Burnside, aged 23, Scottish, 9th September 1913. REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1913-054314

It may or may not be him. Further digging will be required.

Regards

Malky.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there and welcome to the Canada board  :).

In case you don't have it, William's entire military file has been digitized by Library and Archives Canada and it is free to view at the link below. It is VERY VERY slow to load.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B1310-S015

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 18:18 BST (UK) »
PB, thanks v much, got that one.
Malky, I think the Detroit trip is another Robert Burnside. But I hadn't found the death - can you point me to a source please?
The real mystery is the Wife and son as there may of course be living Burnsides from that line?

Thx again Ian

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
PB, thanks v much, got that one.
Malky, I think the Detroit trip is another Robert Burnside.

Thx again Ian

Malky was correct - the Detroit Border Crossings and Passenger and Crew Lists, 1905-1963 for Robert Burnside gave the same address as on William Burnside Attestation papers

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:39 BST (UK) »
Do you know in which town William and Robert were born (or lived when they were young), please?

PS  Have you found William and his family in 1921?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:45 BST (UK) »
William's obit states that he had a surviving brother (not Robert), so it appears Robert passed away prior to 1924.

...but there is a death in Winnipeg, Manitoba of a Robert Burnside, aged 23, Scottish, 9th September 1913. REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1913-054314

Perhaps it is him?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:46 BST (UK) »
Lisa - William Burnside was on the 1891 census Elphinstone Tower Farm Cottages Dalkeith Road Transent East Lothian.

William Burnside   25 Elizabeth S Burnside   24
William Burnside   1 Robert G Burnside   1
Mary C Burnside   6 Mos

Robert seems to be Robert Gullan Burnside -

BURNSIDE ROBERT GULLAN - 1889 - 737/ 26 - Eccles

sister -

BURNSIDE MARY CAMPBELL - 1890 - 722/ 141 - Tranent

mothers death -

BURNSIDE ELIZABETH SIMPS - 75 - 1942 - 689/ 59 - Inveresk and Musselburgh

fathers death -

BURNSIDE WILLIAM - 89 - 1955 - 689/ 47 - Inveresk and Musselburgh

possible for sister if she never married

BURNSIDE MARY CAMPBELL - 82 - 1973 - 744/ 164 - Morningside

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra   :)

Thank you.   ;)

Update:  Haven't found anything in Canada yet.
Stepping away for awhile - garden needs attention.