Author Topic: Help please Toronto dead end  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Toronto dead end
« Reply #18 on: Monday 07 August 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jacquie.  Not wanting to have a copyright issue or something similar, is it best to remove the link, or may I shrink the link and post the RootsChat link?  Thank you for any advice.  Remove the webite link now.   ;)

I apologize for not being clear as I was a little rushed at the time. There's no copyright issue or anything like that. It's the way the Manitoba Vital Stats website is set up. When I clicked on your link (and Sandra's in reply 10), this is what appears:

"List all Matches...

Back to search page
Sorry but you must select at least one search Category

Return to Search Page"

I'm far from a tech expert but I believe it's because the website uses frames that the results don't show up for others.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Just in case this could be of assistance ....but could Nellie Shewan/ Burnside also have been a Scot although Ian's info has the couple marrying in England.
There is a Nellie Burnside aged 25 sailing to Quebec in May 1919 , her ultimate destination being Toronto, Ontario
 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-61PK-4D?i=19&cc=1823240

Looby  :)
Thanks Looby, I have her. She married William and was transported to Quebec as a military wife after their marriage. It's what happened to her and her son after his death in 1923 I'm stuck with. Best, Ian

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jacquie.  Not wanting to have a copyright issue or something similar, is it best to remove the link, or may I shrink the link and post the RootsChat link?  Thank you for any advice.  Remove the webite link now.   ;)

I apologize for not being clear as I was a little rushed at the time. There's no copyright issue or anything like that. It's the way the Manitoba Vital Stats website is set up. When I clicked on your link (and Sandra's in reply 10), this is what appears:

"List all Matches...

Back to search page
Sorry but you must select at least one search Category

Return to Search Page"

I'm far from a tech expert but I believe it's because the website uses frames that the results don't show up for others.

Jacquie
Thanks again all for interest but still not sure where I go to find the death record referred to in earlier post?

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:37 BST (UK) »
You will not find the death certificate - Manitoba vital stats is an index of BMD records.

https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
You will not find the death certificate - Manitoba vital stats is an index of BMD records.

https://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

Sandra
Thanks Sandra  got there in the end. 30 dollars! I'll have a think.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 07 August 17 11:59 BST (UK) »
or - If you wish to obtain a certified copy of the original record for genealogical purposes based on a search you have done, the fee for each record is $12.00
Try the RAOGK volunteer I gave earlier.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Simpson Burnside, died 1942, Inveresk and Musselburgh, Scotland, as per SP 689/ 59

Regards

Malky

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Simpson Burnside, died 1942, Inveresk and Musselburgh, Scotland, as per SP 689/ 59

Regards

Malky

as per reply 7  ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D     ;D ;D ;D ;D     ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ibedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
UPDATE Re: Help please Toronto dead end
« Reply #26 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
So.... again thanks to all who contributed - I'll summarise and see if any further suggestions come in.

So far my tree on Ancestry has most of the info referred to here from Scotland's people and ancestry but thank you all for confirmations - the Canada links are my bugbear...

I already have in the tree William Burnside marrying his wife Nellie Shewan and their transportation after he was discharged on separate ships in 1919. I have a photo of him and his son and his grave after death in 1923 along with his obituary in post 1

I have a suggestion that his twin brother Robert has died in 1913 in Winnipeg after crossing from Quebec to Detroit and back in 1912 but a 30 dollar death certificate needed to prove that?? Edit I will go to volunteer suggested by Sandra and the 12 dollar option.

Any ideas to find wife Nellie Burnside born 1893 last known at 813 Queen Street East, Toronto with her son William who looks about 2 in 1921 photo. If that younger William went on to have child called William that makes a full set of direct 'eldest son William Burnsides' since 1765! Wouldn't that be nice. My ambition is to find a living one in this line but with 2 wars in the way it's a slim chance. Had my father thought to call me Wm and I my son that would have worked!

Sunny here in Edinburgh, have a great day and if anyone wants help from here I am retired and happy to assist.
Best, Ian