Author Topic: Help please Toronto dead end  (Read 6675 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please Toronto dead end
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
I didn't see a reference to an Eleanor Morgan in the 2 trees I've looked at but now note that an Eleanor Burnside, married, is at that 27 Marlborough street in the 1949 electoral roll. No william listed, though. Nor the Blackwells but this is a supplementary list so perhaps she was left off the original?

Complicated family. But the trees at least give avenues to follow up and check for accuracy.

PB

Edit: I have now found the Eleanor Morgan mentioned by *Sandra* and in one of the 2 trees I had looked at....the entry was buried deeper in the tree than I looked. There seem to be only the 2 trees at the moment.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian, you may have already seen this - William Shewan's grave memorial on findagrave.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=125124899&ref=acom

But have you noticed the memorial was created by G Shewan, if you click on his name you get this

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=mr&MRid=46881166

He might be worth contacting

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 20:07 BST (UK) »
Another little twist.
26 September 1882, John Shewan married Mary Ann Thomson in Toronto.

July 4th, 1886 Mary Ann gave birth to William John Shewan, Tarves, Aberdeenshire.

They do get around!!

Don't know where the 1882 Fintray birth for William came from?
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=125124899&ref=acom

Regards

Malky

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 20:27 BST (UK) »
Wow, a lot of information has been found!   :)

A thought:
William arrived in Canada c1919 (don't remember the date).  William died 13 October 1923, but the "length of residence at place of death - 22 months" - is there a chance that they were not living in Toronto/Ontario when little William was born?  (Or, did they simply move from one residence to another c1921.)  I don't believe their 1921 census image has been located yet?

I think this was mentioned previously; could one of the men have been your William?
1921 Toronto City Directory
Wm Burnside, tmstr Can Northern Transfer Co, lvs 169 Eastern Avenue
Wm Burnside, carp, h 214 Van Horne

Nellie was living at 813 Queen Street East in 1923; her address and Eastern Avenue are just a few (long) blocks apart.  Perhaps they moved from Eastern to Queen at some point?

They don't appear to be listed in the 1922 Toronto Directory.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kim/

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
William lists his occupation as teamster in his WW1 Attestation Form so the Eastern Ave directory entry looks promising, Lisa in California.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you, PB  :)

I think I found the family in 1921.  According to one paysite, the family is shown under the name Fearnaide (why didn't we think of that).   ;)  It actually does look like Fearnside.

1921 Sub-District 02 - Ward 02, Toronto South, Ontario
William Fearnside, Roomer?, age 35, born in England as were parents, immigrated 1909, Teamster, CNR
Ellen, roomer, age 29, born in England as were parents, immigrated 1912
William, son, age 2, born Ontario
169 Eastern Ave.  All Fearnsides were Ch of Eng
It looks like they could be living in the house of Archibald McF?n (it was transcribed as McForan)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
Well hidden, for sure  ;D. Great find! Address is definitely 169 Eastern Ave.....one paysite has it as 189.

PB

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
Wow Lisa, great find, and thank you for putting me out of my misery, I have been trying all sorts of variations of the names to find this family in 1921.  Well done  :D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton