Author Topic: Japanese Pow "hell ship"  (Read 697 times)

Offline AmyK88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Japanese Pow "hell ship"
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, not been on here for a good while, but I have begun my research again and have found my 2x great uncle Charles Marshall KENNETT. He was a gunner for 137th royal artillery. Now correct me if I am wrong, (please) He was aboard the "Singapore Maru" where he died, 5th November 1942, age 33. Because of conditions on the journey. Does anyone know where I will find any more information with this ?? An diaries etc of the 137th royal artillery. I do not no if his then wife may still be alive ?? Hope that all makes sense and Thank you in advance
Amy :)
KENNETT:
East Dean, East Sussex
Everton, Liverpool

Offline silaswall

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese Pow "hell ship"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:05 BST (UK) »
If you Google Singapore Maru a great deal of information pops up. I think it is the ship one of my family was transferred to Japan on.
Wills Isle of Wight
Webb Hampshire & South Berkshire
Edmund Webb 1828 - 1901

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
There is a diary covering up to August 1941 but this covers the period before deployment to the Far East.  There is a very brief history here http://www.far-eastern-heroes.org.uk/2nd_lt_robert_hartley/html/history_of_the_regiment.htm  and a more detailed one here https://fyldecoaster.wordpress.com/category/137-field-regiment/

The fact that the regiment were, sadly, taken, would perhaps explain why no diary for the 1941.42 period.

(If you look around further, be careful to write 137 Field Regiment, there was also a 137 Field Battery which is easily confused).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia