Author Topic: James L Graham  (Read 912 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum xx 1916 - 2014
    • View Profile
James L Graham
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Please help !

I have Mary Scott age 20 ( my grandfather`s cousin ) who married a James L Graham age 21 at Galashiels on the 24th Dec.1920. Her father William Scott, mother Mary Scott ms Johnstone

Mary Scott or Graham age 27 ( ? ) then went on to marry John Tinline age 22 at Haddington on 24th Dec1924 ( I think she must have liked Christmas weddings !! )

I know that the Tinline marriage is right as my mother, aunt and grandparents visited them all in Haddington.

My problem is that I can`t find what happened to James Graham, either death or divorce, between 1920 and 1924.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James L Graham
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Is Mary recorded as a widow or divorcee on the second marriage to John Tinline, please?

Looby :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just to clarify Billy  :-\ ?
Don't see a marriage on Scotlands People in 1924 for Mary and John Tinline.
However there is a marriage between Mary Scott and John Tinline in 1928 in the district of  St Giles which is Edinburgh ....not Haddington  :-\
Could this be the second marriage you were referring to ?

Looby :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum xx 1916 - 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I missed off that on the record of the marriage to John Tinline, it says Mary Graham widow, but I can`t find either death or divorce from James Graham.

Unfortunately, I haven`t noted the ref for the marriage to John, but their addresses were both in Haddington.

I`m thinking now I may have written it down wrong, I was visiting a heritage hub and was too mean to pay for the printouts!! Also,now conserving SP credits, but I`ll take a look at the St Giles marriage as Mary`s age at 1st marriage she was 20, 2nd marriage she was 27 - fits better with 1928.

Thanks for your work.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 17 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Billy,

Yes I would be inclined to view the original certificate - the age of 27 would fit better with 1928.

I had a look for a death of a James Graham between 1920 and 1928 and there were a couple possibilities of men of approx. right age but without viewing the certificates and verifying if Mary was noted as widow & if his parents names matched with names on marriage cert no 1 , it's impossible to confirm if one of these men are Mary's 1st husband. None have been indexed with the middle initial L , but perhaps whoever registered the death forgot/never knew his middle name  :-\   
Then again maybe James died outwith Scotland.
Good luck with your research

Looby  :)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum xx 1916 - 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help.

I have been unable to find a death for James L Graham on FreeBMD in England or Wales , but as the whole transcribing isn`t done it doesn`t mean that he didn`t die outwith. I just want to " finish him off " for want of a better expression. !!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Please help !

I have Mary Scott age 20 ( my grandfather`s cousin ) who married a James L Graham age 21 at Galashiels on the 24th Dec.1920. Her father William Scott, mother Mary Scott ms Johnstone

Hi there have you got the middle name wrong ?

See this marriage James R Graham to Mary Johnstone Scott 1920 Galashiels ref 775/123

Rosie

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum xx 1916 - 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 October 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
What a difference a year makes !

I think it is quite probable that the death for James L Graham, age 38, at Morpeth, in the March qtr 1938  is the one I`ve been looking for.