Author Topic: 33rd Regiment, West Indies/Jamaica, Family Tree 1823  (Read 849 times)

Offline gemma712x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
33rd Regiment, West Indies/Jamaica, Family Tree 1823
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hello, I hope I'm posting this correctly, apologies if not (pretty new to this forum thing!)
I'm looking to see if anyone can help with a part of my family tree I've been stuck on for the past year or so!
I know one of my ancestors was born in the West Indies around 1823. From her marriage certificate it shows me that her father, named as Robert Renton, was a soldier. I've found by searching online that the 33rd regiment was posted to Jamaica and would have been there at the time of her birth.
I'm unable to find anything for her father. I have no idea how to find if he came back, why she ended up in Yorkshire, as the first record I can find for her is the 1841 census by which point she is already married.
I'm also curious to know a bit more about whether the soldier would travel with his wife? Or would he have possibly married out there? I understand that there may have been a high number of deaths during their posting in the West Indies due to tropical diseases so it's possible he may not have come back to England.
Any help on how I can try and trace further info would be much appreciated.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: 33rd Regiment, West Indies/Jamaica, Family Tree 1823
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
Can you post her details?
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 17 00:08 BST (UK) »
You could order her birth certificate?

First name(s)   Mary
Last name   Renton
Year range   1823
Place   Jamaica
Country   West Indies
Regiment   33rd Foot
Record source   GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
Volume   10
Page   21B
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
A brother ?

First name   John
Last name   Renton
Year range   1821
Place   Ireland
Country   Ireland
Regiment   33rd Foot
Record source   GRO Regimental Birth Indices (1761 to 1924)
Volume   10
Page   16B

Offline gemma712x

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much I am going to look into ordering that birth certificate. I have never managed to find the volume & page no. to be able to order it so that should be a great help.