Author Topic: Robert Thomas married Catherine Jones  (Read 1302 times)

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Thomas married Catherine Jones
« on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:02 BST (UK) »
I'm really stuck trying to sort out where & when the above couple were married.  I can't find them on the 1841 census but on the 1851 Catherine is already widowed, she's 45 & says she was b in Pentrevoelas,  She has 3 children living with her, David aged 16 b Bersham [I found I believe his bap on 17 Mar 1833 in Bersham saying son of Robert Thomas & Catherine Jones] then Jane who is my 2 x gt grandmother aged 14 b Brymbo [her bap says 6 Mar 1836 Wrexham to Robert & Catherine Thomas] then Elizabeth aged 2 b Broughton & they were living in Broughton.   Since Catherine was already widowed in 1851 & Elizabeth was 2 he must have died sometime between 1849 & 1851 I guess??  I found a burial of a Robert Thomas aged 72 on 10 Dec 1849 in Brymbo which seems to fit the bill but he seems to have been much older than Catherine like 30 years??  This may well have been so but I can't find a birth for anyone in 1777 which seems to fit the bill.   She could have been his 2nd or 3rd wife I suppose??   I'm not sure where he was born either since I can never find him on a census.
Any suggestions please as to where to look now?
Thanks to anyone who could help.
Amberly.
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Thomas married Catherine Jones
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
The GRO index gives the death of a Robert Thomas aged 44 in December quarter 1850 in Wrexham.

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
I'm really stuck trying to sort out where & when the above couple were married.  I can't find them on the 1841 census but on the 1851 Catherine is already widowed, she's 45 & says she was b in Pentrevoelas,  She has 3 children living with her, David aged 16 b Bersham [I found I believe his bap on 17 Mar 1833 in Bersham saying son of Robert Thomas & Catherine Jones] then Jane who is my 2 x gt grandmother aged 14 b Brymbo [her bap says 6 Mar 1836 Wrexham to Robert & Catherine Thomas] then Elizabeth aged 2 b Broughton & they were living in Broughton.   Since Catherine was already widowed in 1851 & Elizabeth was 2 he must have died sometime between 1849 & 1851 I guess??  I found a burial of a Robert Thomas aged 72 on 10 Dec 1849 in Brymbo which seems to fit the bill but he seems to have been much older than Catherine like 30 years??  This may well have been so but I can't find a birth for anyone in 1777 which seems to fit the bill.   She could have been his 2nd or 3rd wife I suppose??   I'm not sure where he was born either since I can never find him on a census.
Any suggestions please as to where to look now?
Thanks to anyone who could help.
Amberly.
[/quot

Unfortunately the 1841 Census is missing for the Wrexham area.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger but how do I look up on the GRO index & what does it stand for???

WRJones a valuable piece of info knowing that the 1841 census for the Wrexham area is missing, thanks for that info, no wonder I've had so much trouble searching.

Thanks to you both,
Amberly
Roberts,Guilsfield area, Mont.    Beattie, Welshpool, Mont         Newill, Welshpool & Shrops.      Gwyther, London.                    Cureton, Shrops & London.       Whitfield, Shrops.                        Dickin, Shrops & Mont.               Barker, London.

Offline amberly

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 14:55 BST (UK) »
Roger, or someone, could you please explain to me how to use these GRO files?   
What do I Google to get into them?
Thanks so much, Amberly

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
Register, free to search, can give mothers maiden name, unless born illegitimate. Also age at death in early years. Starts at civil registration.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
Apologies to Amberly for omitting to reply and thanks to Cas(stallc) for doing so.

Regards
Roger