Author Topic: How do I find what regiments were based in a particular town in a certain year?  (Read 778 times)

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

I'm trying to trace my ancestor who it is believed to have been a soldier based in Kilkenny, Ireland in 1787.

His name was Jean Christopher Wildermoth (sometimes spelt Wildermouth, Wildermuth or Wildermeth).  He is believed to have been French and married an Irish woman, Anne Keenan.

Their son William was born in Kilkenny in 1781 and their daughter Elizabeth (under the last name of Wildermuth) was born in 1804 in the Parish of Birr, County Offaly, Ireland.

I have hit a brick wall in finding anything about Jean Christopher so I am hoping that if I can find what regiment he was in I will be able to trace his movements.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find what regiments were based in a particular town in a certain year?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 21:36 BST (UK) »
Have you got any baptism records for the children? Sometimes they state the regiment of the father.

Also do you know of this book
In Search of the Forlorn Hope: A Comprehensive Guide to Locating British Regiments and Their Records (1640 to WW1) by John M. Kitzmiller
I've never seen a copy myself, but might help you in your quest.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline fred21

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find what regiments were based in a particular town in a certain year?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 17 23:57 BST (UK) »
I do but no regiment mentioned on any of them.

Since I know where the children were baptised I thought I could find the regiments that were stationed there at those times.  A long shot I know but pretty much the only led I have in finding him.

thanks for the help
Wildermoth/Wildermouth (Ireland, England, France); Byrne, Whelan, Keenan (Ireland); Ellis (Cornwall); Bambrough (Durham), Newman (Durham and Norfolk); Watson (Durham); Mattison (Yorkshire); Kirker (New Zealand and Ireland); Pirie (Scotland); Campton (unknown);

Offline eileenb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 17:06 BST (UK) »

Have you seen this Wildermuth posting? 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=580706.9
Hampshire -  Lewis & Mitchell & Hutchins
Lancs - Tattersall & Dillon
Wilts - Vockins, Chapman, Alexander
Fairground Travellers - Dillon Family