Author Topic: Marriage Cert Henry Hamper and Lydia Juniper, Westmeston, Sussex  (Read 2320 times)

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Origins: from Sussex, Kent, Essex, Northumberland
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Cert Henry Hamper and Lydia Juniper, Westmeston, Sussex
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:22 BST (UK) »
Holy Smokes LizzieL you are a machine! I'll need some time to digest the information, but thank you for your efforts and thanks to all for the rapid response. Very much appreciated. I'll likely have more questions, some concerning the process etc. Would they be better off posted in the  general chat or can I continue here.

For instance, at this time are marriage banns an annoucement of intention to marry or is it actually the legal union from that date (no ceremony, basically like a Justice of the Peace)?
Hamper / Bannister / Rye / Hamilton / Gunner / Back

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:31 BST (UK) »
images can be viewed here
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6PN7-KHK?i=335&cat=586340

p336

Rhamper,
You have to ignore the fact that they say they are only viewable at a family history centre.  If you register on the site you can see those records.  Sometimes the same message is displayed on their site for other records and you can't see them from home.

As it turns out, I do have an account there and in fact I have my family tree there. So I could view the image. I was surprised. I couldn't save or print it but that's ok. It was great to see it.

So I learned something new; there are some nooks and crannies on Family Search I didn't know about. They never came up in a search. Or are they part of the transcriptions and I just see the end result of others hard work? I just have to learn to find my way there. Like all the Westmeston parish links, I had no idea I could get to those. Thanks for your help!

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
From the BT -
Marriage was by Banns
No marital status given.
Henry + Lydia both of the parish
They both marked
Witnesses William Marchant, William Hemsley
(Hemsley was a "regular" witness)

The only other marriage at Westmeston that year was on 21 April, George Hamper of the parish of Street + Mary Jane Peckham (both single). Witnessed by a Henry Hamper and a Jane Hamper (all marked)
John

Thanks so much John. I have some questions.
I've asked elsewhere in the thread, but just in case: Banns are announcements or the actual union?
What does "they marked" mean?
BT means Bishop's Transcripts correct? Does that mean I might find more info on a Parish Register, possibly?

I think the Street/Streat Hampers are not my line, at least at this point. Westmeston and Keymer are two important areas. Later Laughton, Lewes and Hailsham.

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:45 BST (UK) »
Civil Registration, and therefore Marriage Certificates, came into being on 1st July 1837.
Before that date you have to rely on Parish Register entries.

FamilySearch only has the entry from its "England, Marriages 153801873" collection - and that only has the basic details you have found.

So, you need to find out where the parish registers for Westmeston are held?
They will be at East Sussex Record Office, at The Keep.
http://www.thekeep.info/about_us/services/

Thanks! I'll look into that. Looks promising.

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:47 BST (UK) »
images can be viewed here
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6PN7-KHK?i=335&cat=586340

p336

Yeah, I work away and won't be home until September so that's out. BUT following the links I did find out that I have a LHS in my home town in the middle of nowhere! So, that's something.

Offline RHamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:58 BST (UK) »
Found records of two Henry Hamper baptisms

HH bapt in Street, 28 May 1801 s/o Henry and Jane Hamper
and HH bapt in Westmeston 22 Oct 1797 s/o John and Amy Hamper

The one born in Street seems to be in Ramsgate Kent in 1851, he is a widower and living with him is unmarried sister in law Frances Ann Baldock b Canterbury, Kent, so unless he married a second time to a Miss Baldock, possibly also of Canterbury, he is probably ruled out, but due to his parentage a possible brother to the George H of Street who married in Westmeston.

What did your HH call his children? that can sometimes give a clue as to parents.

Henry, John, Emma (Amy) and William  :D  I love using that clue (with caution). When I get the tree done, I'm going to count how many times each name appears. Dad's middle name is Henry :) and the Henry I'm looking for here would be his great-great grandfather.