Author Topic: A niece and an orphan in South Normanton in 1881  (Read 6816 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: A niece and an orphan in South Normanton in 1881
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Re: Hannah Moakes - not found one yet with a birth year of around 1860. There was a Hannah Moakes  born about 1867 who was the daughter of Matthew Moakes and Sophia Gaskin.

I'll keep looking!

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
Now that could be interesting:

there is a Hannah MOKES born Mansfield 7b 55 JFM 1859 in the registers with a mother's maiden name of Gascoigne

... and guess what: there is a baptism transcription for Hannah Mokes dated December 8th 1858, parents: Henry Mokes and Cinderella (who was of course the daughter of Enoch Gaskin and Ellen Moakes).

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
1871 3467/55/5

Shows Hannah Mokes (Moakes) 12 yrs as granddaughter to George and Hannah Mokes.

She might be nothing to do with your quest but I noticed a death - perhaps this is Hannah.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, they are Henry's parents

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:19 BST (UK) »
So you might have solved it?

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:29 BST (UK) »
I guess the unanswered question is how and whether the Moakes / Moakes , Gaskin / Gascoigne , Ball (and other families) are related by common ancestors - by this I mean mid to late 18th century. In this thread alone I have come across too many marriages for these to represent totally isolated occurrences between unrelated families. Pamela Sharpe, in her book "A Village of Considerable Extent" records that not only was illegitimacy very high but in 1788 South Normanton had 121 houses and a population of 588. Another correspondent of mine from a University in America reports:
 In a population of between three and five hundred people, after six generations or so there are only third cousins or closer to marry. During most of human history, people have lived in small, isolated communities of about that size, and have in fact probably been closer to the genetic equivalent of first cousins, because of their multiple consanguinity. In nineteenth-century rural England, for instance, the radius of the average isolate, or pool of potential spouses, was about five miles, which was the distance a man could comfortably walk twice on his day off, when he went courting- his roaming area by daylight.

I'll keep on digging!

Alan

Are you linked to the Haywoods of this village?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 August 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
No, nothing to do with the village.
There does seem to be a lot of intermarriage from what you say and at that time it was perhaps very common especially in rural communities. I know it was in one of my family areas in rural Ireland.

Offline Nicolaxx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 February 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you found anything else on Thriza ! Would be interested to find out more about her thanks

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 February 18 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I haven't bought the birth certificate but the new GRO Online Index lists the following:

GASKIN, Thirza  MANSFIELD  07B page 69  1873 M Quarter.
Mother's maiden name blank

This is in association with the GRO's trial of sending pdf records rather than the full certificate at a cost of £6

Alan