Author Topic: DNA results  (Read 871 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DNA results
« on: Monday 07 August 17 13:51 BST (UK) »
Some time ago I posted a message saying my son had taken the ancestry DNA test and we'd been disappointed with the result - mainly because there is very little guidance from ancestry when the results arrive.

At the time some rootschatters suggested there is another website where the raw data can be uploaded and will give more detailed information. Unfortunately I can't remember where the thread is. I've only JUST found how to get the raw data - and it froze my laptop trying to download it!

Can anyone tell me (in simple terms, suitable for elderly computerphobic pensioner how to use this DNA result - and what have other researchers gained from having the raw data analysed?

Thank you
Lesley

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley, two websites you can do a free upload to - GEDMatch https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php and FTDNA https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer - and I'd recommend you do both.

I don't know whether the Ancestry download produces one file or more, but it doesn't matter, the receiving websites will know how to handle things.  Both websites give fairly clear instructions on what to do.  You shouldn't do any file manipulation, unzipping, renaming etc, just know what your DNA download file(s) is/are called and where it/they live(s) on your computer.

I tested with FTDNA so haven't tried their upload process but I do recall that one of my two files took a long time to load onto GEDMatch - they do warn you about this, don't panic, just make a cup of tea and wait.  It's because it's a big file.  It will be worth it  :)

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jane - in some ways it was actually easier in the days when I had to take a trip to Kew and handle real documents etc! Nowadays everything I try online seems to end in disaster. I've forwarded your email to son - who isn't into genealogy but is now curious about how the raw data will turn out. I still don't really understand the complexities - did you learn more than you would have done on the ancestry pie chart?

Online familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again Lesley

I've no first-hand experience of ancestry pie charts so am unable to comment, but I'm sure there are plenty of Rootschatters who can (and hopefully will  ;)).

Jane :-)

ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 03:35 BST (UK) »
did you learn more than you would have done on the ancestry pie chart?

Hi Lesley

I assume by "ancestry pie chart" you mean the ethnicity estimate.

In my opinion the ethnicity estimates are little more than a gimmick and the least useful part of DNA testing.  The real value in testing is in DNA matches to relatives.

Two years after taking my first test with AncestryDNA I now have confirmed DNA connections to 11 of my 14 known great-great-grandparents (2 of my great-great-grandparents are unknown/unconfirmed).  By DNA connection I mean that I have at least one DNA match with a person who descends from one of their siblings.  In one case, the DNA connection goes through to my 4x great-grandmother.

I also confirmed the identity of my previously undocumented great-grandfather.

What I have learned from this is that what I think I know about my family tree is right, which is not a bad thing.  Some people do discover that something they thought they knew about their tree was not right.