Author Topic: Samuel Eaton  (Read 1463 times)

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Eaton
« on: Monday 07 August 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about Samuel Eaton. He was convicted of theft at Dorchester assizes on 16/7/1845. Then sent to Millbank prison, London. He was transported as a "convict exile" on the Joseph Somes and landed at Geelong on 24/9/1847. I have no information about him after his arrival in Australia.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Eaton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,
  From Victorian BDM https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

Death 1887 Samuel EATON, parents names not listed, age 66, place of death Narracan, spouse Elizabeth SHEARING, reg 14886

Ros

adding : Marriage 1861 Samuel EATON and Elizabeth SHEARING reg 2397
Let's not tolerate bullying !

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:16 BST (UK) »

Arrival.

Elizabeth SHEARING
Age30
Arrival 3 Aug 1853
At Geelong, Australia
From Southampton
Ship Mooltan
Born Middlesex
C of E
Domestic Servant
Could read
To Mrs Robertson at ?? Bank, Geelong
Has relations in colony.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 03:46 BST (UK) »
Victoria was hived off from NSW in 1851.  The NSW State Archives online index for Convict Exiles includes Samuel, per the Joseph Somes noting he received a conditional pardon.   
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convict-exiles-index 

I will send a PM to a UK RChatter who has done a great deal of research into many of the Pentonian lads, perhaps he has further info on Samuel  :)

Also see http://ergo.slv.vic.gov.au/explore-history/colonial-melbourne/convicts/pentonvillains

JM
DO NOT COPY PASTE ANY OF MY POSTS TO ANY OTHER FORUM. I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION FOR ANY OF MY POSTS TO BE SHARED WITH OTHER FORUMS.
 Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.    
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk         
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information  Ros, Sue and JM. I knew nothing about Samuel after he left England. I had hoped that he had a family in Australia and a better life. It seems it took a long time for him to find a wife. Is there any Australian records of children please?   

Mary

Online rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,

I can't see any births to Samuel and Elizabeth on Victorian BDM (free to search). https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj
I checked for births to Elizabeth before marriage too.

I can't see a probable death for Elizabeth - there is a death of an Elizabeth EATON in 1895 aged 80 but parents' names do not seem to match as you can see.

A charge against Samuel dismissed http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87997163

Ros

Let's not tolerate bullying !

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 07:31 BST (UK) »
Victorian certificates give excellent genealogical information, so long as the informant has the knowledge and/or is truthful.  You can download the image of Samuel's death certificate from the Victorian BMD site for about $AU25
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/indexsearch.doj

The information requested for the certificate is:
 Date and place of death;
 name and surname;
 occupation of the deceased;
 sex and age;
 cause of death,
 duration of illness,
 medical attendant by whom certified and when he last saw deceased;
 name and surname of parents (if known) including mother's maiden surname       
signature, description and address of the person who gave the information;  signature of deputy registrar, date and where registered,
 when and where buried,
 undertaker whom certified;
 name and religion of Minister, or names of witnesses of burial;
 place of birth of the deceased and how long he or she resided in the Australian colonies or states (stating which),
 name of spouse,
 place of marriage,
 age at marriage;
 names and ages of children of the deceased.

Obviously the informant may not know all of this information about the deceased so the certificate may not be much help or the record may give almost useless information such as "England" for the place of birth.

Another thought -  I wonder if Elizabeth had been married before she came as she was 30 then, and thus SHEARING is not her birth surname? I've had a bit of a hunt but can't find anything definitive. I can't see a marriage for the Elizabeth nee SANDERS who was EATON on her death cert (found by Ros above) either. Her immigration record says she has relatives already in Victoria.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
I can't see a probable death for Elizabeth - there is a death of an Elizabeth EATON in 1895 aged 80 but parents' names do not seem to match.

There are no births on my resource for Samuel and Elizabeth.  Perhaps she was a widow when she married Samuel and SHEARING was her maiden name.  Only the certificate would provide that information.

I've checked for a headstone at Narracan cemetery with nil result.

This is the only marriage I can find that has SHEARING and SAUNDERS but may not be them.
http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
Marriages Sep 1848 
SAUNDERS    Elizabeth         Stepney    2/427    
SHEARING    Abraham         Stepney    2/427

Parish record
SAUNDERS Elizabeth
SHEARING Abraham
3 Jul 1848  St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney
Father     John Saunders
Spouse Father    Abraham Shearing

Death mentioned by Ros.  Father's surname mistranscribed?  Age is possibly incorrect also.

EATON Elizabeth
Father John SANDERS Mother Amelia UNKNOWN
At Hotham West Benevolent Asylum  80 years  1895  Reg#13649

Cando

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marypeaton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 11:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all again.
 Judith I have now got the death certificate and trying to decipher the writing!! I found the idea of a previous marriage interesting, Cando. The 1841 census shows Elizabeth (16) and Abraham  Shearing(58) in Middlesex, but it doesn't give any relationship. I assumed father and daughter. As for the Sanders/Saunders transcription I quite understand as my maiden name was Sanders and when tracing my family the spelling changes regularly!!! Have now got marriage cert. Elizabeth was a widow, father's name John Saunders!!

Mary