Author Topic: The Thacker/James Family  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Tonys Search

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Thacker/James Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Family of John James   b.1827 d.1890 m.14/12/1848  Jane Norman Kirby b.1829 d.1889
Both are buried in Sheffield.

Children:  Another researcher found a Sarah James b.1848  in Syresham and thought it was a child of John & Jane but I have found no evidence for that.

Arthur Amos James. bapt 14/3/1850. (1st marriage 1868 in Syresham to Susannah Lovesey)
Second marriage to Alice King in Walkley, Sheffield, they had no children but raised Theresa Thacker, daughter of Enos  James, after his first wife died 3 years after giving birth.

Charles Norman James. Bapt 11/4/1852. Married Rose Broadhead in Sheffield and they had 3 children before moving to Canada where they had 2 further children.

Mary Janet James. Bapt 4/3/1855.

Herbert Kirby James. Bapt 27/9/1857. Married  Eliza Alice King and they had 10 children but 2 died very young. Family still living in Sheffield area.

Enos James. Bapt 10/5/1866 married Florence Alinda Beal who died 3 years after giving birth to my grandmother Theresa Thacker. Enos married again and had 2 further children.

The Thacker surname was added between 1866 and 1871, probably at the time of the move to Sheffield. The only reason I believe is that Arthur did not want to commit bigamy by not divorcing his first wife, although perhaps unbeknown to him his first wife had died. In 2005 a person living in Syresham declined to talk about the James/Thacker family because of what happened all those years before. My father who also lived at Arthurs house in his early life said that Arthur lived with his cousin, which was not true, it was his wife.