Author Topic: Romany autsomal DNA  (Read 9902 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Romany autsomal DNA
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 07 September 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
I'd say to assimilate they took on the name of the local clan at the time. Campbell as a name has been around for far longer than my ancestors were in the country. I know the idea of a surname in and of itself is relatively new, also my haplogroup doesn't match a typical Scottish person. I have matches with people from India. I am waiting on ftDNA to decipher and decode my y-dna further.

All evidence seems to suggest to what I am eluding. I just found it very interesting.

If you have 'matches with people from India' it might also suggest a colonial history. For example the British army/navy (sepoys?) or merchant trading between Britain and India. There is a large British/Indian community in India with many mixed marriages going back many generations.
This example dates back to at least Bengal in 1775
http://www.bbc.co.uk/whodoyouthinkyouare/past-stories/alistair-mcgowan.shtml

Yes it is interesting, but I guess a problem is that unless we have a close match with someone else to give us a clue, we have a very broad time frame for the dates when our Mr 'Y Haplo' ancestor migrated. He could have migrated during a more recent British Empire 'colonial' history, or during the period when the Romany migrated into Europe or even during a more distant time period, like the Roman Empire for example or even beyond that?