Author Topic: Cassie of Monquhitter  (Read 10358 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Cassie of Monquhitter
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 07 October 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Forfarian...I see you are researching LESLIE in Mortlach. Any connection to a Jane Leslie who married James Young ~ 1830? They lived in Aberchirder in 1834. Thats not too far from Mortlach. Jane may have had a father or a brother named Peter Leslie. Take care! 
I don't think so.

My great-great-grandmother was Jane Leslie, born 1 June 1814 at Newley, Mortlach, married John Burgess in Botriphnie on 1 April 1848, and died on 10 December 1885 at 31 Baker Street, Aberdeen. She had a brother William, very well-documented with a large legitimate family and one illegitimate daughter who had an even larger one, and a brother James, for whom I have a baptism on 20 January 1816, a sighting in the surviving fragment of the 1821 census in Mortlach, and then nothing more.   

Jane's parents were Thomas Leslie and Mary Stuart. Thomas was the son of James Leslie and Jean Spence, born about 1773/1774, died 16 January 1856 at South Toll House, Keith, where his son-in-law John Burgess was tollkeeper.

Thomas' baptism is not in the parish record, but seven siblings are, all born at Pittyvaich, Dufftown, Mortlach. His sister Dorothy, born 1771, died unmarried between 1841 and 1851. Sister Margaret, born 1776, died unmarried on 13 February 1865 at Newley, Mortlach. Brother John, born 1778, is believed to be the John Leslie who married Ann Grant in Mortlach on 6 December 1800 and probably died before 1854. I have nothing further on Alexander (1766), Elizabeth (1769), William (1779) or Helen (1781) after their baptisms. It is possible that one of them could have had a daughter Jane of an age to marry in about 1830.

I have only one Peter Leslie in my tree, from a different lot of Leslies, and born in 1825. He had a sister Jean, born 1813 in Rothes, about whom I have nothing after her baptism. She could be the one who married James Young, though I won't hold my breath - there are too many Leslies about.

I see that James Young and Jane Leslie had a son James, baptised in Marnoch on 2 March 1834, but have yet to find him in 1841, unless he is the six-year-old living in Gamrie with Peter Mitchel and his wife Margaret Young. He may be the 17-year-old farm servant at Culbuchly, Banff in 1851, but I have failed to find James sr or Jane in either census. Nor can I find Peter and Margaret in 1851.

What more do you know about James Young and Jane Leslie, and about their son James jr b 1834?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 07 October 17 14:27 BST (UK) »
You know about as much as I do. I have been unable to find a marriage for James and Jane Leslie, and I find no more children by them. Nor have I found births for either. Interestingly, I do find two children born to a William Young and a Jane Leslie in Marnoch around the same period. Perhaps a brother? He is living in Fordyce, so doubtful its just an error in the name. But strange that they both married Jane Leslies. The James Young born in 1834 I believe is my 4th great grandfather. He married Margaret Black 4th August, 1860, in Rathven.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 07 October 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
You know about as much as I do. I have been unable to find a marriage for James and Jane Leslie, and I find no more children by them. Nor have I found births for either. Interestingly, I do find two children born to a William Young and a Jane Leslie in Marnoch around the same period. Perhaps a brother? He is living in Fordyce, so doubtful its just an error in the name. But strange that they both married Jane Leslies. The James Young born in 1834 I believe is my 4th great grandfather. He married Margaret Black 4th August, 1860, in Rathven.
I wonder if perhaps James b 1834 was illegitimate? It might be worth taking a look at the Marnoch kirk session records.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 October 17 18:15 BST (UK) »
Fogmoose, have we been in contact before?

I have notes on the family of William Young & Jane Leslie. It seems to me that the OPR for the baptism is incorrect - the father's name should be William but the clerk has mistakenly repeated the child's name James. If you check FreeREG, you'll see that a Peter Leslie was witness to both Peter and James. I'm persuaded - but then this is not my direct line back!

William's son James can be found in 1841 with his father and two older brothers Peter and Alexander as well as a David Young age 4 (maybe a third brother) at Durn Road, Fordyce parish. This James Young went on to marry Margaret Black 4 Aug 1860 in Rathven (the marriage registration confirms his parents as William Young & Jane Leslie) and they moved to Rathven where they settled and had family before moving on. His brother Peter Young married Elizabeth Black (I have her as Margaret Black's sister) - he died in 1913 in Garmouth.

The Black line possibly leads back via Helen Robertson wife of George Black to Margaret Robertson who is my 5xgtgdmother (marr 26 Jul 1726 Connage, Rathven to John Clark), hence my interest.

I also had an interest in William Young in the context of my 4xgtgdmother Ann Young whose birth has long proved elusive. I've never made any connection. Ann Young was recorded in 1841 age 83 born Banffshire, which is as likely as not true, although many claimed she was born in Gartly (Aberdeenshire).

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
I wonder if perhaps James b 1834 was illegitimate? It might be worth taking a look at the Marnoch kirk session records.

See the next post by Fordyce for a possible answer.
Black, Ross - Rathven
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:42 BST (UK) »
Fogmoose, have we been in contact before?

I have notes on the family of William Young & Jane Leslie. It seems to me that the OPR for the baptism is incorrect - the father's name should be William but the clerk has mistakenly repeated the child's name James. If you check FreeREG, you'll see that a Peter Leslie was witness to both Peter and James. I'm persuaded - but then this is not my direct line back!

William's son James can be found in 1841 with his father and two older brothers Peter and Alexander as well as a David Young age 4 (maybe a third brother) at Durn Road, Fordyce parish. This James Young went on to marry Margaret Black 4 Aug 1860 in Rathven (the marriage registration confirms his parents as William Young & Jane Leslie) and they moved to Rathven where they settled and had family before moving on. His brother Peter Young married Elizabeth Black (I have her as Margaret Black's sister) - he died in 1913 in Garmouth.

The Black line possibly leads back via Helen Robertson wife of George Black to Margaret Robertson who is my 5xgtgdmother (marr 26 Jul 1726 Connage, Rathven to John Clark), hence my interest.

I also had an interest in William Young in the context of my 4xgtgdmother Ann Young whose birth has long proved elusive. I've never made any connection. Ann Young was recorded in 1841 age 83 born Banffshire, which is as likely as not true, although many claimed she was born in Gartly (Aberdeenshire).

I dont think we have, though I may have forgotten...I'm getting old!

If indeed we are connected on this line, which seems very possible, have you had a DNA test? I recently had mine done, I uploaded it to GEDMATCH. That would be a good way to verify if we are in fact distant cousins. PM me for further info.... Take care!
Black, Ross - Rathven

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 07 October 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
See the next post by Fordyce for a possible answer.
Yes, I've seen it, thanks.

Offline Andy Cassie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:04 GMT (UK) »
So you must be related to either Marion or Louise Scott. I am Andy Cassie son of John Cassie, Mary's brother. I live in Fetcham in Surrey England (age now 63) and I have an elder brother Ian who lives in Leamington Spa and an elder sister Juin who lives in Jo'burg in South Africa.
I have had a Cassie family tree done but only get back to William Cassie and Marjory Reid around 1735 so all the earlier stuff I have read about is interesting.
I think the last time I saw any of the Scotts was back in the early 70's and have lost contact totally with most of the other Cassie's of that era. I remember with great fondness my uncle Lewis (though I thought it was Louis), he was a very funny man who was very left wing in his politics, an Everton (football) supporter and had a magnificent trick with bank notes and Christmas puddings. Thats for a different time. Will look at the posts with interest.
I do remember my dad saying that I was related to a Capt Andrew Cassie who fought at Culluden in the Jacobite Rebellion - only thing is I'm unsure which side he was on.
Looking forward to hearing from you

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hey Andy,

Fantastic to see your post this morning!  I am one of Marion Scott's 4 sons. If you have no objections I will send you a private message so we can chat more.

I will also do some digging on the Captain Cassie you mentioned.
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White