Author Topic: Reese Family, St Helier, Jersey  (Read 2308 times)

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
Reese Family, St Helier, Jersey
« on: Monday 07 August 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about John Reese and Eliza Moyse, who met and got married on Jersey prior to moving to Somerset around 1880/1881.

I know that John Reese was born in Minden, Westphalia in 1830, his parents being Wilhelm Friedrich Christian Reese and Caroline Charlotte Steineke.

At some point he joined the British Army and ended up on Jersey as a military pensioner, which is where he met Eliza, daughter of Mary A Moyse and an unknown father.

While on Jersey they married and had their first three children on the island, all in St Helier, including my great great grandfather George (b. 26/9/1873).

I believe the family moved to England because John was caught embezzling from his employer, one Thomas Brooks of Burrard St, see attachment from the Supplement To The Jersey Weekly Press and Independent, dated April 26th 1879.

If anyone has information on the court proceedings, more info on Eliza Moyse background, and how John came to be on Jersey I would really appreciate it.
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reese Family, St Helier, Jersey
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
The couple married on 8 Oct 1871 in St Helier. According to the marriage certificate she was 23 and he was 38. her father was George Moyse who was a Mason and she was born in St Helier. According to the St Helier baptism register Eliza was born on 5 Oct 1848, father George Moyse and mother Elizabeth Hill, however this does not fit with the information you have. The marriage register does give John's place of birth as Germany and his father's name as William, a Blacksmith.