Author Topic: Are family values inherited?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Are family values inherited?
« on: Monday 07 August 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Do you think that family values can be passed down through the generations?

Neither me or my mum grew up in particularly religious households, but we have always had a natural aversion to excess - live thriftily, never smoked, rarely drink. We also think good values are very important e.g. kindness, helping others, treating people as you would wish to be treated; essentially being a 'good Christian' (even though we aren't practising Christians).

When I found out that all my ancestors up to c. early 20th century were Wesleyan methodists, it all seemed to make sense.

Do you think it's possible for values to be passed down through the generations such that you maybe share values with an ancestor several generations back?

Is there anything similar in your family tree?

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Are family values inherited?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
"Do you think it's possible for values to be passed down through the generations"

Sure, but not in the DNA.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:05 BST (UK) »
What families value is passed down and are taught so it is learned behaviour, so I see no reason why some things are not passed down from several generations ago.

However how do you explain talents/traits you have when you have never met or knew ancestors like grandparents/great grandparents who you find out had the same talents/traits.... that is not learned behaviour so is it genetic?
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 00:05 BST (UK) »

Do you think it's possible for values to be passed down through the generations such that you maybe share values with an ancestor several generations back?

No, I don't think you would just share values with a random ancestor from the past, unless those values were passed through each generation.

Many people have ancestors with a criminal past - it doesn't mean those values were passed down the generations ....

The values you mention are common to many families, so I think you might be reading too much into it.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 02:55 BST (UK) »
I think some of what you do or how you act is likely influenced by genetics, such as a predisposition towards being introverted, or a disposition towards being impulsive, etc and that might cause some degree of similarity in reactions to situations, but in terms of something complex or defined I should think it would be more nurture.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 12:25 BST (UK) »
If you had a parent with a quick temper, you could genetically inherit it but you could be born a very placid person but have a parent with a quick temper and you then acquire it from an early age.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain