Author Topic: Find marriage for Stokoe & Hetherington  (Read 1042 times)

Offline rupiezucki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Find marriage for Stokoe & Hetherington
« on: Monday 07 August 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking to find a marriage between Jemima Hetherington and John Stokoe.

The first child that I have so far is Mary Ann, born Tanfield Dec 1856

The name Stokoe has also been recorded as Stoker.

History:

After 1826, but before 1841, John's father Robert Stokoe/Stoker moved his family from Whitley by Hexham, NBL to farm on land owned by his wife's family in Tanfield, Co. Durham.  She was a ROBINSON, but her paternal grandmother was a MIDDLETON.  They have 3 boys, Robert (c 1815), William (c 1817) and John, 1826.

Brother Robert marries Ann HETHERINGTON (c. 1820) from Haltwhistle, NBL on 31 May 1845.

In 1851, Robert Sr, wife Mary, their 3 sons, Robert Jr's wife Ann HETHERINGTON, and 2 bairns (one with Middleton as a middle name) are on the Tanfield farm.  Jemima HETHERINGTON, (now 20 or 21) is living in Blenkinsopp NBL, with her parents Robert and Margaret and siblings.

By 1861, Jemima is on the farm with 3 children, husband John, Robert and Ann.  Robert senior is dead, but his wife Mary is there.  The original census form is badly damaged.

I can NOT find a record anywhere of John and Jemima marrying.  I know it is possible that they didn't, but the family is a church-going family and this would be a surprise.  I only have access to online records, and have checked every permutation I can think of on Freebmd, including searching by one name with all manner of variant spellings, wildcards.  I have checked for Jemima marrying someone else and having a different surname when she married John.  I have checked Gretna marriages.  I am stumped.

The closest I come is on Freebmd, Sep 1854, vol 10a p 225.  There is a John STOKOE, and the page is short one female.

Can anyone think of a way to solve this short of ordering that certificate from the GRO?

Interestingly, Durham Records Online does not have this marriage, but they do have one from Lanchester 1851 with the groom's place of birth as Hexham.  I think that marriage is the Mar 1851 (vol 24 p 81) of john STOKOE and Mary Ann PHILLIPSON.

I have also tried Bishop's Transcripts from FamilySearch.  Tanfield doesn't go to 1851, neither does Collierley.  I know that some of the Tanfield records were destroyed, but I don't know which ones, and can't help but wonder if I am just wasting my time.  I am currently slogging through FamilySearch BTS for Lanchester.

But that Sep 1854 with the missing bride is so interesting ....

Thanks is advance,
Holly
Scales - Scarborough, Farmany, Ellerburne, Thornton, Pickering; Collier - Atwick, Lund; Lake - Norfolk; Ridley - Durham; Stokoe - Northumberland;
Monkman - Yorkshire; Peacock - Seamer; Umpleby; Cook; Hetherington - Northumberland; Whitwham - Sunderland, Ripon, Grantley; Robinson - Canada, Vancouver; Paton - Scotland, Auchtergaven

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Find marriage for Stokoe & Hetherington
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 01:17 BST (UK) »
On FindMyPast the John Stokoe marriage Sept. 1854 shows 2 possible brides - Hannah Gibbs or Ann Summers.

Sorry no Jemima.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 02:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Holly,
This is a difficult one, they are on the 1871 at Tantobie, Tanfield, Durham with 7 children, says Jemima was born 1831 Greenhead, Northumberland and John born 1827 Hackford, Northumberland.
I can't find a marriage for her and John or a previous marriage, appart from the one  Annette7 mentioned which is your Freebmd, Sep 1854, vol 10a p 225.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 04:21 BST (UK) »
Durham Registrars confirm that the 1854 marriage was to Ann Summers, although I cant see any Stokoe/Summers births after this. 

I guess it's possible that John & Jemima weren't free to marry as John had already married Ann  :-\ You could order the certificate without giving the GRO volume/page references and with the proviso that the Grooms father must be Robert - if they cant find one that matches they your fee will be refunded.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 05:08 BST (UK) »
Jemima  Hetherington dau of Robert and Margaret Hetherington bap 5 December 1830 at Haltwhistle, born Greenhead.

I have marriages 1842-1929 Collierley, St. Thomas. Nothing for relevant Stokoe, Stoker or Hetherington.