Author Topic: McKeesport, Allegheny, Pennsylvania  (Read 1427 times)

Offline michelledennis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKeesport, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
Looking for information regarding Joseph Benjamin DAVIS (snr) who married Mary Ellen LUTZ born 1850 McKeesport (daughter of Adam LUTZ & Margaret SNYDER). Their son Joseph Benjamin DAVIS (jnr) was born 20 Nov 1876/7 Pittsburgh, Allegheny and died 5 Oct 1959 Dayton, Ohio. He married Jessie Newton SPROUT (dau of Clarence SPROUT & Anna CLAPP) in 1889 in Pittsburgh.

The Lutz family also lived in Mifflin (1850), New Sewickley (1860) and South Versaille (1870).

Any help would be appreciated.
Kind regards
Michelle Dennis nee DAVIS (Melbourne, Australia)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: McKeesport, Allegheny, Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 20:34 BST (UK) »
It sounds like you don't know anything about Joseph, Sr., but do you know anything about Mary Ellen, please?  Would you know when she died or if she remarried, please?

I've not yet found the family in 1880; possibly one or both parents died prior to 1880?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline michelledennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Lisa,
No, unfortunately I haven't been able to find Mary Ellen's death or remarriage. I can't find the family in 1880 either.
Are you a descendant?
cheers
Michelle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Not a descendant, just trying to help.  :)

May I ask how you know the names of her parents, please (just trying to gather facts, in hope of finding the family in 1880).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:03 BST (UK) »
Someone has a tree on one of the pay sites that has the following:

Elizabeth (born Ohio, 1824- ), mother of
  Henry Davis (born Ohio, 1853 - )
  Emma Davis (born Ohio, 1865- ) (half-sister of Joseph)
  Joseph Benjamin Davis (born Ohio, c1857) (and his son,
      Joseph "Joe" Benjamin Davis, Jr. 1877-1959)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:35 BST (UK) »
It's a long shot, but perhaps a sibling?

Mary J Davis, born 7 June 1878, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA
Parents:  Benj and Mary Davis

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kj8/

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:50 BST (UK) »
I found the following family when I first started looking around and I believe I discounted them, but I don't remember why.  Anyway, just in case this could be the family (with Mary having the incorrect year of birth)
1880 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Co., PA
Joseph Davis, age 30, born Pennsylvania as were parents
Mary, age 22, wife, born Pennsylvania, parents born Germany
Joseph, age 3, born Pennsylvania
William, age 1, born Pennsylvania
 John Whollay, age 14, Boarder
Possibly 38 Bainbridge Street

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01kj9/

Apologies if this is not your family.   ;)

Update:  an online tree states that the family was
Joseph James Davis, 1848 - unknown
Mary Shock, 1856 - unknown
and their children
Joseph James 1874-1947
William Henry 1879-1957
Charles Joseph 1881-1960

Offline michelledennis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 August 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa, your help is much appreciated. Yes, I've seen the Henry & Emma Davis siblings on Ancestry, and I've seen the 1880 Philadelphia census too thanks. I've also found a Joseph and William Davis in the Philadelphia School Registers on Ancestry that may be mine. I've seen the other Davis families too, but can't prove that they connect with mine one way another just yet.

To answer your question -
I know the names of Mary Ellen Lutz's parents, as I have three of her siblings death certificates (which all state parents names of Adam Lutz and Margaret Snyder. She appears on the census with them in 1850, 1860 and 1870 so I know I've got her correct family.

I suspect that the Joseph Benjamin Davis who married Mary Ellen Lutz (b 1850 McKeesport) was the son of John Davis b 1821 Aldgate, London. I am descended from the London John Davis's brother (Dr Samson Davis), and I have his diary of his visit from England in 1841 to visit his brother John in New York (York House, Washington Street). I have a close DNA link to a lady in the U.S. who is a descendant of Joseph & Mary Ellen Davis's child Joseph B jnr.  Just can't prove the connection yet.

I just wish I could find the death/burial of Joseph Benjamin Davis and Mary Ellen Lutz. I can't find either of their births, marriage or deaths for some strange reason!

Your help is gratefully received.

Michelle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 August 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the additional information.

Have you been able to rule out the following family?  (I have to get back to gardening, so I can't take the time at the moment to do so.)  Could Minnie be a nickname; her age isn't quite correct, but it's "close".  Also, the father's name (and age) doesn't match with your possible name of John Davis.

1880 Pittsburgh Census
Joseph Davis, age 44, born England and his wife Mary G, age 43, born England and their children
Benjamin, age 22, born England
Elizabeth age 17, born England
Joseph, age 14, born England
Sophia, age 12, born England
Thomas?, age 11, born England
Arthur ?, age 6 [name lined out?], born PA
? A, age 5/12 [name lined out?], born PA
  Minnie, age 23, daughter-in-law, born PA, parents born Bavaria
  Joseph, age 3, grandson, born PA
Address: Arlington Avenue