Author Topic: Charles William Wallace (1855–1916)  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Rehodnett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles William Wallace (1855–1916)
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was Charles William Wallace (1855–1916) who moved to India in 1875 - (brother of General Sir Alexander Wallace), and I am desperately trying to find out more about that side of the family.

I can find a fair bit on him (see http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Charles_William_Wallace) but not on his other brothers (I suspect there were six of them in total) nor his children - my great grandfather being one of them (William [Bill] Wallace).

My great grandfather (William 'Bill' Wallace) left my great grandmother (they were living in Hampshire at this house http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42526953.html designed by Bill Wallace when he was a POW), when my grandmother was young, for a woman he had met in India. I do not know whether he moved back over there or stayed here in the UK. I do believe he had a son with his new wife though - and would love to find out more about them.

My grandmother passed away earlier this year - and she would never speak about her father, so it is only now that we are learning, (or trying to learn!) of our ancestors.

Any help or pointers would be very very welcome please! :)

Thank you

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Charles William Wallace (1855–1916)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

You might find this organisation useful;  plenty of online information:

https://www.fibis.org/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
The Society of Old Framlinghams has a short document about both Charles William and Alexander.

CHARLES WILLIAM WALLACE (1870-71)
He was born on 21 November 1855 and is the brother of Major General Sir Alexander Wallace (1870-74).
Unlike his brother, he did not enter the army but instead went to India in 1875, as a young man. He was invited as a consultant to a major company in Bengal that managed tea gardens and which needed to have its affairs sorted out. "If I were you, I would close down the enterprise and start afresh" was the bold advice Wallace offered. Impressed by his dynamism, the company invited the young man to join them. Wallace spent his life working for the firm (Shaw, Wallace and Co of Calcutta), which diversified, into timber and textiles. By the time Wallace died, he was a very wealthy man.
He was also a Vice-Chairman of the Burma Oil Co and of the Anglo-Persian Oil Co
Like his brother Alexander, he was President of the SOF (1905,06), a Trustee and Governor (from 1912 until his death). Also like his brother, he distributed the prizes on Speech Day (1906). He was in fact the first OF to be appointed Governor and to distribute the prizes. In 1908 he gave the Society’s Trustees investments producing £60 per annum, in order to put the Society “on a firmer financial footing than could be the case if it was dependant solely upon annual subscriptions and casual gifts”.
The Wallace Scholarship at the College was founded as a result of his will, which bequeathed £1000. This was subsequently doubled by another OF, Emile Edouard Moreau CBE (1871-72), who was a friend of his for over 40 years.
He died in London on 2 August 1916 at the age of 60. His devotion and many years service to the College are commemorated in a tablet in the Chapel.
When he died, he left a considerable fortune. By the terms of his will, his estate was, after provision for his children, to be divided between the British Treasury and the Treasury of British India because he felt that "all possessions great and small being acquired from or through the people, as mine were, should return to the people".
Though his last child died in 1971, the Charles Wallace Trust was started only in 1981 as his grandchildren contested the will. The Trust was set up following an agreement between the two governments of India and Britain, together with a sister trust in INTACH UK and also trusts for Pakistan, Bangladesh and Burma.
Since 1981, the Charles Wallace Trust has awarded 100 scholarships annually and 2,200 Indians have been to Britain to undertake training and study in a number of subjects. INTACH (U.K.) benefits interested Britons wishing to visit India for educational purposes. The Trust provides opportunities to study at the postgraduate level, undertake research, gain professional experience in the UK or take up a visiting fellowship. The awards are managed through the British Council and concentrate on the arts and humanities.
In 2006 the Trust celebrates its 25th anniversary. One man’s thoughtful legacy, today fulfils the dreams of many. Every year, talented Indians between the ages of 25-45, travel to Britain on an award that expands their horizon and increases their knowledge in the fields of the arts and the humanities.

www.oldframlinghamian.com might prove useful?
Or www.framcollege.co.uk
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rehodnett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you both :)

Busy on FIBIS now - very interesting!

Thank you K - I've seen the Old Framlinghams pages before, but not found out much more about their siblings, nor children...

Hmmmm

:)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
1871 census
Charles William Wallace is a scholar at Framlingham
Age 15; born Calcutta

1901 census
Langford Place, St Marylebone, London

Wallace, Charles W  Head  M  45  East India Merchant  b India
Wallace, Ellen C  Wife  F  44  b India
Wallace, Isabella T  Daughter  F  13  b Norwood, Surrey
Wallace, Jessie H  Daughter  F  9  b India
+ 5 servants
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Malcolm55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
[Copied over from the thread on the beginners board]

I see three children of Alexander Wallace and Helen nee Davidson (the parents of Charles William Wallace, named in Grace's Guide).

Christian Jane Wallace, b. 20 Jan 1846, Calcutta
Jessie Paton Wallace, b. 20 Sep 1848, Calcutta
Charles William Wallace, b. 21 Nov 1855, Calcutta - your gg grandfather

So two sisters for Charles. I don't see Alexander or other siblings yet.

Seabridge : Staffordshire, Birmingham, Middlesex and elsewhere.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage of one of the sisters
Holy Trinity Paddington Middlesex
Marriage 10 Aug 1871 by Gustavus Jones .curate of St Johns Westminster
Thomas Thomas Bachelor Merchant of Holy Trinity Paddington father John Lloyd Thomas occ Silk Broker
Jessie Paton Wallace spinster 22 of 3 Newton Rd father Alexander Wallace occ Merchant
witnesses William Henry Carter and Helen Davidson Wallace

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:05 BST (UK) »
Have you got the will of Charles Wallace in 1916, just to check on children etc?

Offline Malcolm55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
A great grandchild of Christian "Kate" Wallace was researching this family 19 years ago! http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/wallace/368/ http://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/countries/topics/india/41/. Some information there. Interestingly, Helen Davidson's surname is given as Paton - Helen Davidson Paton.

And I see a marriage: Alexander Wallace (b. 1815, father Fraser Wallace) m. Helen Davidson Paton (b. 1826, father Charles Paton) on 25 Jan 1845, St Andrews Calcutta.
Seabridge : Staffordshire, Birmingham, Middlesex and elsewhere.