Author Topic: Helen Marshall born armaugh  (Read 528 times)

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Helen Marshall born armaugh
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction or look up a birth registration please . Helen Marshall was born in Armaugh in 1817 to James and betsey Marshall . She moved to Scotland at some point I cannot find helen in Ireland but on all the census she puts armaugh down as her place of birth .
Thanks Scoty

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Helen Marshall born armaugh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
Can anyone point me in the right direction or look up a birth registration please . Helen Marshall was born in Armaugh in 1817 to James and betsey Marshall . She moved to Scotland at some point I cannot find helen in Ireland but on all the census she puts armaugh down as her place of birth .
Thanks Scoty

In Ireland her name is more likely to be Ellen rather than Helen but civil registration of births didn't start until 1864. To find church records you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not exact townland). Unfortunately, not all church records from early 1800s survive. Does her birthplace in census records say 'Armaugh' or Armagh?
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi , it says armaugh .

I've no idea what reglion she was and I don't know the parish the census which states her birth place as armaugh was on the 1861 Scottish census . She must have moved to Scotland around 1838 she got married in old machar and settled in Dundee after that . Sadly it  Looks like I won't be able to find anything more about her then . Thanks for the info though I'm  on the Scotland's people site but I think the censuses started at 1841 there I'll double check I couldn't see her there last time I looked . S

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:39 BST (UK) »
Does the 1861 census actually say 'Armaugh' rather than Armagh? are you reading the original or a transcript?

Have you looked to see if there are any other Marshall in the area in case relatives also came to Scotland?
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

Offline Scoty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi , I looked again and I was wrong it's Armagh

Helen married a Francis whitecross in old Macmar in 1838 they moved to Dundee and were on the 1841 in hunter street . I can't find helen prior to that her parents were James and betsey I'm not sure how I found that out to be honest I've no record

Thanks
S