Author Topic: Family Historian 6  (Read 3395 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Family Historian 6
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the missing hundred people from my FTM tree to my newish FH tree.
Going through FTM index of people  for an instance I have 7 Arthur "Bloggs" they are in the index through date of birth, oldest first, where as FH has Arthur in no particular order that I can see. births 1880, 1903, 1894, 1887 etc record Id 4897,9,7719,273 etc.
How do I get the index to show the people by their birth years? Is this possible?

Second question please
Once I have found the missing link ( ;D) person on FTM. I am then clicking on the father in FH and adding the relevant wife and children to the small property box- that opens once the name in the index is clicked, but I am not seeming to . as the wife and kids do not appear in the index.
Also with FTM once a name is clicked in the index, the whole of the details appear, I find this property box fiddly.
Sorry for being such a pest, I am still trying hard with FH, but it is not coming easily and I am not enjoying it very much!
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian 6
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Date sort in index - click the "Dates" column title, albeit that it seems to order in descending order rather than ascending.

To get the spouse to appear in the index:

Right click one of the index column titles, select "Configure Columns"

Left side - scroll to bottom and double click <Other>

Opens up an "Add Column" window

Enter heading, eg Spouse

Click Insert Data Reference

Scroll towards bottom and select "Spouse" (has arrow to left of name not yellow box).

Click Add

On right hand column, click on Column name (eg Spouse) then click on up or down arrows below to move up list to where you want it to show in the index

Click OK.

This will then show the spouse against the individual

You can add "Child" the same way, but if you only add the column once it will only show the eldest child.  You would need to add multiple columns and some variation of coding to get it to show more than one child (by default it only shows the eldest child) in the index and make the index very wide.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 13:54 BST (UK) »
I have the index columns configured to show "life" dates rather than "birth" dates, so includes birth/baptism and death/burial dates (baptism and burial dates show when there are no birth or death dates).  Can't remember what the default is on installation, but you can do this the same way as with adding a Spouse.  To remove a column, go to configure columns, click on the column heading on the right hand side and click the < arrow to remove it.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies.
"Date sort in index - click the "Dates" column title, albeit that it seems to order in descending order rather than ascending."
Done that one and all I get is a list of random names starting with the date 2016 and going down.... I want the surnames  in alphabetical order, as they are now, but when I have 60 odd Williams with one surname I need to be able to find them easily and not have to search through a long list of mixed up dates!!!
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Date sort in index - click the "Dates" column title, albeit that it seems to order in descending order rather than ascending.
If you right-click on any column heading you can choose whether to sort in ascending or descending order. (Your reply came while I was typing - this should work with all columns, giving a vast choice of sort orders.)
Once I have found the missing link ( ;D) person on FTM. I am then clicking on the father in FH and adding the relevant wife and children to the small property box- that opens once the name in the index is clicked, but I am not seeming to . as the wife and kids do not appear in the index.
As well as Smudwhisk's point about configuring the columns, it occurred to me that you might mean that the new people aren't showing in the main left hand column. I think you'll find that new people are added to the bottom of the list, and you have to run the sort operation again to make them appear in the order you wish.
Also with FTM once a name is clicked in the index, the whole of the details appear, I find this property box fiddly.
It does take a bit of getting used to, as the interface is quite different from most other FH programs.

The property box is very flexible, and can be shown at the side of any window ("docked"), or "floating" in front instead. It's always visible, and as you move from one person to another in, say, the records window (the one with the list of names, places, sources etc, depending on which tab you pick), the property box simply changes to show whatever is selected. This is a lot quicker and easier than some programs I've used, where after viewing someone's details you had to close that window, then navigate to someone else and open their details window.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
 Thank you everyone. I have now got the names in alphabetical order and the dates in decending order, for some reason when I try and put them in ascending order they vanish altogether  :-\
I will keep on "playing" with it, but it does not come naturally and easily. Maybe just my age, I have been using FTM for years..... 8)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have now got the names in alphabetical order and the dates in decending order, for some reason when I try and put them in ascending order they vanish altogether

I also have FH6.  When you have the dates in ascending order, the people with no dates recorded appear first.  If you scroll down past those 'blanks', you'll see the people who do have dates :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Even when I right click the column heading for "Dates" it still doesn't order them in date order, seems rather random. :-\

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Puzzling ???

I've just right-clicked on 'Dates' and selected 'Sort ascending', then right-clicked again and selected 'Sort descending'.  Both work perfectly.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch