Author Topic: Family Historian 6  (Read 3396 times)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Family Historian 6
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
Blimey what chance do I have  8) ;D
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Even when I right click the column heading for "Dates" it still doesn't order them in date order, seems rather random. :-\

The "Dates" Column doesn't appear to treat the information as a formal date format but more as a text format which supports the flexibility of the program in allowing for date ranges, phrases & approximations etc . Because of this the program looks like it treats this column almost as if it was text and sorts in  computer fashion rather than in a more human sense.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Ah, that would explain it but I prefer to keep life dates showing in the index rather than separate columns for births/baptisms & deaths/burials so shall have to put up with it.  That said, the filter option on both first and surnames is useful for reducing the number showing even with surname and first name variants so isn't that big an issue. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 October 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
I've been using FH since V3. It's a very powerful program and will repay time spent in getting to grips with its capabilities, the same as with any other software like Word or Excel. There's a Getting Started with Family Historian book you can download and you get a sample database when you install the software. I'd seriously recommend using the book and sample data to play around with the software to get to understand what it can do. I wouldn't use anything else now. It's 100% GEDCOM compliant, which makes it easy to share information with other programs, Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc. There's a good support forum, just don't be put off by the sometimes very technical nature of some of the posts.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
I have looked for the book and it seems you have to purchase it, this I find very annoying. When I purchased FTM the book was included in the price.I would expect a product to come with the manual.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
I have looked for the book and it seems you have to purchase it, this I find very annoying. When I purchased FTM the book was included in the price.I would expect a product to come with the manual.

FH6 has an extensive built in manual - press F1 while using the program

The book you may be referring to is possibly the one entitled "Getting the most from Family Historian" it is not a manual but an additional source of information about the program

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 October 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
I think you can still download a copy of the FH5 PDF manual for free.  A lot of the functionality is the same as FH6, although there are some differences, but it should be some help depending on what you are looking for.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
The v5 book can be downloaded for free. It will cover most of the basic stuff and as has been mentioned previously the help in v6 is pretty good.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 October 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you I stand corrected  8)