Author Topic: Fraserburgh Address  (Read 1345 times)

Offline bainmb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fraserburgh Address
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
I have traced several relatives whose between 1850s and 1920s whose address is given as Braeheads, Fraserburgh and latterly as 52 Braeheads, Fraserburgh. However, having checked various old maps I can't find the location of Braeheads. Can anyone shed any light as to where this would be?

Thanks

Offline VelkyAl

• RootsChat Extra
  • http://www.fuggled.net
    • View Profile
Re: Fraserburgh Address
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 14:22 BST (UK) »
I have traced several relatives whose between 1850s and 1920s whose address is given as Braeheads, Fraserburgh and latterly as 52 Braeheads, Fraserburgh. However, having checked various old maps I can't find the location of Braeheads. Can anyone shed any light as to where this would be?

Thanks

It is possible that the address is not in Fraserburgh proper, but rather one of the outlying villages. I ran a Google Maps search with the term 'Braeheads Fraserburgh' and it gave me a street in the village of St Combs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=braeheads+fraserburgh&oq=braeheads+&aqs=chrome.5.69i57j0l5.5070j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Reece/Reese, Scott, Cassie, Paine, Ogston, Calder, Chant, Thompson, Castle, Moyse, Prince, Springett, Cadger, Philip, Rennie, Cooper, Steineke, Kaiser, Hallett, Ford, Killoh, Hepburn, Torry, Ingram, Robertson, Norrie,  Mudford, Spore, Lane, Virgin, Davis, Hendy, Stone, White

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
If you look at "Google Earth" and type in North Braeheads, that is the general area where Braeheads was, North end of Shore Street, Saltoun Square, High Street, North Street area.

Regards

Malky

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 17 08:51 BST (UK) »

Where have you been finding these references? Census, church records, or statutory certificates?

Transcriptions or originals? If transcriptions of census, they quite frequently transcribe the street address but not the town address! So if you have been relying on transcriptions, the first thing to go for is the original, to check that the transcription is actually correct and complete.

Assuming that your references come from original documents, then for the period you are looking at the address will be in the registration district/parish in which you found it, unless it says otherwise. So for example if it is a certificate of a birth registered in Fraserburgh, then unless it says 'Braehead in the parish of xxx', the place you are looking for is in the parish/district of Fraserburgh.

St Combs is in the parish of Lonmay, not the parish of Fraserburgh, so if you are using original 19th century sources, Braehead in St Combs is not the one you want. The area Flattybasher found the second time is probably what you are looking for.

What I would do is find the people in a census where they are listed as living in Braehead, Fraserburgh, make a note of any other places in the same enumeration district, and then see if any of them are named on a large-scale map.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bainmb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the helpful info Flattybasher9.