Author Topic: WW 1 Royal Field Artillery regiment identification  (Read 2648 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: WW 1 Royal Field Artillery regiment identification
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 10:28 BST (UK) »
Have found info from just numbers. I have send you 1 PM but needed to send another - your box is full please start emptying it so I can give you more details.

Welcome to RootsChat Horn8397 :)

Don't worry, your Personal Message inbox isn't full!  It hasn't opened yet because you've just made your first post.  When you reply and your post count reaches three, you'll be able to receive and send PMs.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 15:29 BST (UK) »
K

Progress-  George Horner's date of entry into France was 16th March 1915.  The four brigades that went to France with 47 Div arrived in France:
235 Bde - 15 Mar
236 Bde - 17 Mar
237 Bde - 18 Mar
238 Bde (then called 1/8 London (Howitzer) Bde) - 16 Mar

I would suggest that this is the Brigade he started his overseas service with and shall concentrate thereon.

Success, on 14 Sep 1915 Sgt Horner of 22 Battery 238 Brigade was granted 6 days leave!!!!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 16:08 BST (UK) »
Well done maxD :)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Nice of you to say so, thank you.  Hope we hear from K soon :)

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi to you both,

You have both done an amazing job I wish I knew how you went about finding what you have.   I really appreciate all your help.
My maternal grandfather, George Horner, lived in Woolwich, Kent (now I believe it's part of greater London).  I have a number of postcards he sent from the front to his wife and children but none are dated.  Some of the post cards are from Italy. Unsubstantiated family history "says" he was involved in the Somme offensives, was wounded or gassed and was hospitalised in the UK but obviously he recovered as he served in Italy. 
I am away for a nearly a week and when I get back I will review again all that you have sent as I don't yet understand it all.
I am new to RootsChat, I only registered the day I posted my query.  I have one query, medpad, in one of the responses stated that "your box is full please start emptying it so I can send you more details."  What box and how can it be full when I have only sent one query?  Or am I being thick?!  I  also joined Ancestory.co.uk a few months ago.
Will contact you again around the middle of next week.  Thanks again for your help.
Ken

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
That was the message I was getting so it must have been because you were new. You have to do a couple of messages before you can PM anyone so by sending you the 1st email I presume I closed your box. The info I had has now been put on this thread so it doesn't matter about the email. I was just being careful not to infringe copyrights.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
Ken

Delighted to hear from you.  I'll prepare an update ready for your return next week.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:42 BST (UK) »
Have found info from just numbers. I have send you 1 PM but needed to send another - your box is full please start emptying it so I can give you more details.

Welcome to RootsChat Horn8397 :)

Don't worry, your Personal Message inbox isn't full!  It hasn't opened yet because you've just made your first post.  When you reply and your post count reaches three, you'll be able to receive and send PMs.

Carol

Just posting again as apparently no-one saw it earlier :)

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Horn8397

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Back again.
I have just picked up the further info you have sent.  I am absolutely amazed at what you have found out for me.  When I get back I can look into where George Horner was in 1915 and beyond.  I will also look at the books I have on WW1 and the Somme in particular to see if I can pick up some of the units you have mentioned and where they were, what they did etc.
A few other snippets.  Of the post cards he sent 4 are numbered in pencil and in No 6, at the end of the message he states, "this is the last of the mine cards."  Of those 6, the 4 I have (Nos 2, 4, 5, & 6),  are postcards of mines and they are La Bassee, Grenay, Les Brebis Bully-Les-Mines and Mazingarbe.  He also signs himself Joe, a name I never knew him by, he was always called George as far as I can recall.
In my ignorance of investigating further I'm not sure what else you can do for me.  What you have done has given me a great deal to get on with and I am extremely grateful
Regards,
Ken