Author Topic: FHL numbers?  (Read 1688 times)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FHL numbers?
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

When I'm on Family Search, looking up potential ancestors, there is a couple of boxes with Batch Number and Film Number at the bottom of the page, on the left. Is this where I should put FHL Film Numbers?

I am not clear to which numbers to put in the boxes?

Please could someone advise me?

Thank you

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FHL numbers?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
You do not have to put anything in these boxes if you do not want. These boxes are a way of restricting what records to search.

The film number box is for the number of the film or fiche that actually contains the records. Sometimes films only contain one parish but more often they contain more than one parish but still serve as a usual way to restrict the number of records to be searched.

The batch number is really a bi-product of processing. They might decide in one task to look at several parishes in one go. They will give this task a distinct batch number. This is not usually as useful as the film number
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:14 BST (UK) »
You do not have to put anything in these boxes if you do not want. These boxes are a way of restricting what records to search.

The film number box is for the number of the film or fiche that actually contains the records. Sometimes films only contain one parish but more often they contain more than one parish but still serve as a usual way to restrict the number of records to be searched.

The batch number is really a bi-product of processing. They might decide in one task to look at several parishes in one go. They will give this task a distinct batch number. This is not usually as useful as the film number

Thank you for explaining, just one more question, which are the letters FHL - what does it stands for?

Thanks

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
FHL = Family History Library

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FamilySearch

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks