Author Topic: Translation/ transcribe  (Read 2444 times)

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation/ transcribe
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 August 17 15:48 BST (UK) »
Oh wow, Thank you.... I'd given up on that one. I've got a few more if you don't mind?

first on the Left - Guillaume Lizot & Anne Pelletier

https://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/3/32/Lizotte-67.jpg

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 August 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
on the 19th of january 1670 after the engagement and the publication of one ban between Guillaume Lizot son of Robert Lizot and Catherine Joanne his father and mother of the parish of St Pierre la Grauelle bishopsric of Lisieux , on one side and Anne Pelletier daughter of Jean Pelletier and Anne Langlois her father and mother of the parish of Beauport , on the other side. The bishop having exempted them for the 2 other bans , having not found any impediment father Jean Blanchet , religious priest of the Compagnie de Jésus by virtue of the authority  of curate vested in him by ...
united them  in marriage "par paroles de présent" in the chapel of Beaufort and gave them the nuptial blessing in the prescribed form by the Holy Church in presence of Martin..., Pierre Le Fébur

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 August 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
I have modified the other translation for the 1rst marriage.

I had never seen this expression "par paroles de présent" so I searched it in Google and found this :
http://portail.atilf.fr/cgi-bin/getobject_?a.72:310:30./var/artfla/encyclopedie/textdata/image/

Apparently this sort of marriage was also seen in France , but not recognized by the authorities . It was practised between catholics and huguenots .But they were forbidden by the Church, so no priest or curate could do them since  1600.  It seems that the expression was still used but that it did not mean anything (source Généanet). Also in the 2d marriage the priest is said to give the nuptial blessing.

Offline kshaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:15 BST (UK) »
I had to google translate (which didn't completely work). To clarify..... it means that they had been refused (possibly because one was Catholic and the other Protestant) by the church to be married. So they declared themselves married? Or lived together (common law) in a married way?

They'd been refused more than once and the church finally agreed. I'm guessing from "The bishop having exempted them for the 2 bans".

Very sad

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
No,I meant that in these years this sort of marriage could not have taken place ,it was forbidden ,but the priests still used the expression, void of meaning., . The priest himself could have been excommunicated .The marriage Lizot Pelletier was done "par paroles de présent" and according to the rules of the Holy Church

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:32 BST (UK) »
Being exempted for the 2 other banns was often done , in France and I guess in Quebec, when the engaged needed to get married quickly , for all sorts of reasons. Because the 3 banns took 3 weeks to be said by the curate , at the prones.