Author Topic: McIllraith Land Dailly  (Read 1379 times)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McIllraith Land Dailly
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Could anyone advise me where McIllraith land was in Dailly, one of my descendants is listed as residing at Back house, McIllraith land in the 1881 census. I have looked on old maps and have not found it.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIllraith Land Dailly
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:28 BST (UK) »
Did you also look around Old Dailly, SW of Dailly?
Do you have addresses of any neighbours, if there were any?
Cowban

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 18:44 BST (UK) »
I looked mainly round Dailly as that is where they were on earlier censuses, I have done a census search on Scotlandspeople for McIllraith and drew a blank.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
There are some posts on Anc. message boards about McIlwraiths of Ayrshire. One researcher has written a book. One thread is about McIlwraiths of Auchenflower, Knockdolian Castle and Colmonell. One was a Covenanter whose land was confiscated after a battle. Auchenflower is near Ballantrae. Colmonell and Ballantrae are a few " lang Scots miles" south of Dailly. It's possible that they'd owned land further north.
Cowban

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information I find it very interesting. My ancestors moved from Stoneykirk in Wigtownshire to Dailly so Ballantrae is quite local in that respect

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I might be way off track here and telling you something you already know  :-\ . If so, apologies.
But the term "land" could be referring to a building rather than an area of land.
So Back House could be part of the building possibly belonging to or built by McIllraith  :-\
Looking at the Valuation Rolls on Scotlands People , from 1850s onwards , there are several MacIlwraiths who are proprietors /occupiers of property in Dailly.

There are McIlraith listed on the 1881 Census at Dailly. Also McIlluraith, McIlraith and McIluraith listed on the 1871. Phew , a few spelling permutations  ::)

Hope this has been of help,

Looby :)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby, I never thought of that when I saw land on the census I thought an area of land as opposed to a building. This gives me something to think about. The ancestor in question died the next year and again I have not been able to find a burial lair, I assume he was buried in the church graveyard although his wife who died in 1905 is buried in the cemetery in Dailly. Genealogy is a challenge.

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McIllraith Land Dailly completed with thanks
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 17 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Looby, checked the valuation rolls on Scotlandspeople and found that my ancestors lived in Dailly village in a property whose proprietor was Wm McIlwraith from Glasgow

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McIllraith Land Dailly completed with thanks
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again Looby, checked the valuation rolls on Scotlandspeople and found that my ancestors lived in Dailly village in a property whose proprietor was Wm McIlwraith from Glasgow

Good stuff ! Pleased I was able to point you in right direction. As to whether the building is still standing  - it's very possible! But as I don't know the area I can't help with that.

Looby :)