Author Topic: Jack McKnight Boxer  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Daughterofantrim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jack McKnight Boxer
« on: Tuesday 08 August 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Can anyone give me any information on my Grandad Jack McKnight. He was a boxer in the 30s and fought over 200 fights. Im trying to trace my family tree. He had 4 children. Kathleen, Lily, David, and Patricia. he moved to Leicester during his boxing years. but was from the Belfast area. Shankhill road I believe. I think his mother was called Elizibeth and his father called David, And I think he had brothers call James, Robert and Hance and a sister called Isobell. I would love to know more .........

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jack McKnight Boxer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:34 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MontyM

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 October 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm the Granddaughter of Isobel Stoneman (nee: McKnight). My Grandma used to tell me about her Brothers, there was David, Robert, Hans, Samuel (Sammy) and James. There was also an adopted, but, not officially another sister called Lily, I believe she may have been their cousin. Jack used to sneak my Grandma in to watch his boxing bouts as women weren't allowed in. My Grandma was the youngest born to Elizabeth and David although Lily was Younger than my Grandma. Lily remained in Northern Ireland, as did Hans and his wife Beatrice. David came to Leicester. Sammy and Tilly moved out to America and James and Molly moved out to Canada, as for my Grandma, she came to Leicester after the war and married my Grandad Reg who was from Devon I believe because of work. If you need anymore info don't hesitate to ask, if I know it I'll try to answer.

Offline Daughterofantrim

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 October 17 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information. I'm a bit puzzled. Was Jacks real name Robert ???
I visited your Grandmothers and Grandfathers house in Rothley when I was a little girl. And I remember who would be your Aunt Elizebeth.
Mum Mum went over to Canada to visit James. I have a really old photograph here of them when they were much younger. I'm going to try to see if I can attach it on here somehow. X

Offline karenyat25

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 July 19 20:59 BST (UK) »
Jack Mcknight was my grandad. His son David Mcknight is my dad. He still has contact with my aunt Pat.
Who still live in Leicester.

My grandad first married Mary and his second wife was Charlotte, I think.
I know the family is big, but I didn't know anything about the other children mentioned.

Would be good to swap notes on the family tree.

Offline Kerry83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 24 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my great grandad was David McKnight born 1907 in Belfast and died 1969 in Rothley. My grandad also called David McKnight born 1930 was his oldest child. I would love to know more about my great grandad and I now live not too far from Rothley and would like to visit his grave and was wondering if there were any family members still alive in the area.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 February 24 10:59 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Kerry  :)

Hi, my great grandad was David McKnight born 1907 in Belfast...

Just linking the birth for others reading.
Was this your gt grandfathers birth record?

David McKnight born 13 January 1907 at 51 Crimea Street, Belfast. Father David a labourer, and mother Lizzie MN Hare.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1907/01712/1678108.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 February 24 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Isabella McKnight born 1920
Father David McKnight
Mother Elizabeth Haire

Isabella McKnight born 18 January 1920.   MMN Haire
Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1920/01226/1510168.pdf

1911 census for McKnight
House 28 in Derry Street (Shankill, Antrim)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Shankill/Derry_Street/151251/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kerry83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 February 24 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes this all looks correct