Author Topic: Woods Family - Stockton/Sunderland  (Read 1342 times)

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Woods Family - Stockton/Sunderland
« on: Wednesday 09 August 17 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I've spent a good chunk of today working on the Wood(s) family, but not making much progress.

I also don't believe there is another thread on here relating to them (apologies if mistaken).

Robert Woods (1830 Ireland -1909 in Chester le Street Workhouse of Washington) and Rebecca Little (1830 in Ireland - 1866 Stockton), were in Stockton by 1855.  Their children:

John b 1854 in Ireland d 1916 in Washington, County Durham
Mary Ann b 1855 in Stockton
Thomas b 1856 in Stockton
Robert b 1857 in Stockton
James b 1858 in Middlesbrough
Richard b 1858 in Middlesbrough d 1859 it seems
Owen b 1861 in Ormesby near Guisbrough d 1861 in Sunderland
Rebecca b 1862 Sunderland
Sarah Elizabeth b 1864 in Sunderland
Margaret Ann b 1865 in Newcastle
Patrick b 1866 in Stockton

I've found the children using the GRO mother's maiden name tool - the name Little is used for their mother except Margaret (mother named LILLIE)

The father was a widow by 1871:

1871 Census - 7 Spring Garden Lane, Sunderland, Durham

Robert Woods, abt 1831, Ireland, Head, Widower, Occ Labourer
John Woods, abt 1854, Ireland, Son
Mary Ann Woods, abt 1856, Stockton (Sunderland), Daughter

Robert, James, Sarah and Margaret were in the Sunderland Workhouse in 1871 it seems, the girls birthplaces being described as Stockton.

The girl Rebecca can't be found in 1871 but seems to be working as a domestic in London in 1881.  Then I lose her.

I know a lot about John, he being my ancestor.  The rest, I lose, but I'd like to find them, especially this being such a sad story.  There is a marriage for Mary Ann Woods in 1873 in Sunderland, but the register office says the father's details I supplied are incorrect.  I've tried already ancestry and FindMyPast and feeling somewhat bogged down so a second pair of eyes would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Woods Family - Stockton/Sunderland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
The girl Rebecca can't be found in 1871 but seems to be working as a domestic in London in 1881.  Then I lose her.

Have you looked for a marriage for her on freebmd - possibly in the London area but could be elsewhere

Woods is a very common surname so you need to search the various censuses for a match for the boys to establish whether they are married
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
One to cross off the list - Patrick Wood died Stockton Apr-June qtr 1866 aged 0.  GRO index has age as 4 [months].
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 19:58 BST (UK) »

The girl Rebecca can't be found in 1871 but seems to be working as a domestic in London in 1881. 

Might this be a possibility for Rebecca Wood(s) on 1871c her occ servant
but pob Whickham, Durham and born c1855 :-\

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB87-18H
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information of Patrick.

I'm not sure that is Rebecca in 1871 but thank you for suggesting.

As I say I have looked for each of them but feeling a little lost with it.

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Do you have John is all the census?  It might (or might not!) be helpful to know where he went and what work he did.

A couple of possibilities to follow up, although I cant say I'm completely confident:

1881 North Hall Farm, Bishopwearmouth  - RG11/4988/87/63
Robert Wood 22 (1859) Servant  born South Stockton, Yorkshire,  Farm Servant

I don't know how well you know the area, but Stockton is on the Durham side of the Durham/North Yorkshire border and South Stockton (otherwise known as Thornaby) is on the Yorkshire side, so the Durham/Yorkshire thing can sometimes get confusing.  Possibly the same person in 1891:

1891 – Frying pan Hall, Acomb, Yorkshire - RG12/3517/28/2
Robert Wood 34 (1857) Head Durham Agricultural Labourer 
Emily Wood 35 (1856)  Wife Huntingdonshire   
George Robinson 71(1820) Father In Law  Huntingdonshire  Agricultural Labourer

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a marriage for Robert & Emily  ::)

There is a death for a Thomas Wood aged 14 at Brancepeth Colliery on 31 July 1871 following a fall of stone.  I initially dismissed this as someone of the same name & age was living at nearby Stockley in 1871, but he's still there in 1881 so I can't entirely rule it out.  There are others of a similar age not too far away though, so I'm really not confident.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hey thank you. I'm from Middlesbrough originally so I know the area fairly well but moved away.

John was a ship yard worker and in Hartlepool in 1881 and in Middlesbrough in 1891 and 1901. Don't seem to have him in 1911. To add further confusion his place of birth varies from Ireland in 1861 to Stockton, Sunderland and then Middlesbrough.  Hey at least he lived in them all. Ha. Now I've found a baptism for him in Dublin in 1853 with correct parents but now I find a marriage between a GEORGE Woods and Rebecca Little. Surely this must be a mistake? Are such mistakes plausible?

I'm especially eager to see what happened to Mary Ann Woods, the sister and presumably shed be easy as she is of marrying age ...

I hadn't seen the Robert from South Stockton so thank you for that.

Thank you also for the death of Thomas Wood in 1871.  I thought he might have died in Sunderland in 1865 but that entry is for a 5 year old which is too young. Unless it should say 15?

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, has anyone else managed to have a look into this?

Best wishes

Offline originQuest

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 August 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Just to update, Thomas Woods, born 1856 died aged two in 1858; just confirmed.