Author Topic: North Meols - Banks marriages, births 1370 to 1560  (Read 1668 times)

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
North Meols - Banks marriages, births 1370 to 1560
« on: Wednesday 09 August 17 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
Trying to research the Abraham/Abram family living in the North Meols or Banks area of Lancashire in the period 1370 to 1560. The people I am looking for are:
Edmund 1530
Richard 1485
Richard 1440
Thomas 1400
Unknown 1372
Family search is a bit vague on any details
After 1560 I have a bit of info up to Cecily Abram who married a John Lee
Where would I get more info from I live in Australia so visiting is not on the cards

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: North Meols - Banks marriages, births 1370 to 1560
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 August 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
There's "Lancs Parish Clerks online", which has collected together loads of early records. Try typing it in to a search engine. It's good, and free.
Have you tried contacting Southport Family History Society? There are loads of Abrams/Abrahams in the history of the area, and they're really knowledgeable - probably find whole families of relatives!
It's very early to find good records, though. Good luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 17 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that I have used Lancs OPC many times but nothing in this instance I will try the Southport Society
cheers

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
As far as I am aware the existing parish registers start in 1594 so looking before that you will need such records as wills, leases, manor court records etc.

Where have you found the names and dates prior to 1594.

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 17 08:46 BST (UK) »
Dangerously looking at various family trees mainly on My Heritage, Ancestry and Family Search
I know that could be fraught with danger but its a start
Keeping in the same area as the ones after the 1500's
Would the wills, leases, manor court records be online as I cannot visit the area

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 August 17 01:34 BST (UK) »
Would the wills, leases, manor court records be online as I cannot visit the area
Lancashire Archives catalogue (LanCat) is online. There's a place called Abram in Lancashire so using Abram as a search term results in hundreds of hits. There's a date column on the results list, so you can scroll down and check for early documents. You can do a Simple Search or Advanced Search for particular categories.  If you find a document of definite interest in the catalogue you might find someone willing to look at it for you.

There's also Lancashire Family History and Heraldry Society. It has a members' surnames interests list with dates. Edit. Just looked at the map. It doesn't seem to stretch to Southport. Lancashire has shrunk.
Cowban

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 August 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
I would be inclined to start again with the Abram/Abraham who you have definite documented evidence for. I imagine that would be the one having children in the very early part of the 1600s. I would also ask the other tree holders were they have got their evidence from.

There is a Lancashire Wills Database online but I can't see any very early wills for the surname.

I live locally and will give it thought as to where else you might look.

Offline ManU

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 05:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks gibel
Maybe your right, if you find out any info would be appreciated
cheers