Author Topic: Owen Connolly and Family Lookup in 1861 Census, Please  (Read 5009 times)

Offline lenf03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Owen Connolly and Family Lookup in 1861 Census, Please
« on: Monday 01 August 05 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi!

In the 1861 Census in Carmarthenshire, I'm seeking the Connolly family.  Here is what I've got:

Owen Connolly age 46
Mary Connolly age 32
John Connolly age 13
James Connolly age 6
Martin Connolly age 3
Thomas Connolly age 1
Michael Joseph age infant

My ancestry comes from Owen, Mary, and Michael Joseph.  Please forward any Connolly information that might appear similar as I am not certain of the ages except for Michael Joseph.  The family came, of course, from Ireland and emigrated to the USA in 1863-64.

Many, many thanks!  I've got both Irish and British roots and I'm trying hard to chase this family down with your help.

Len

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owen Connolly and Family Lookup in 1861 Census, Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 March 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Len

Are you still looking for this information?

I see you had a some help on another board, but wondered whether you have made any progress?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline lenf03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
To:  Arranroots

Hi!

Thanks for your interest.  Yes, the reply I got seemed to cover my question well.  I cannot seem to locate an Owen Connolly in the 1861 census.  At this point I have more information, although I am far from solving the mystery.

The family is a little different than previously described.

My ancestors were Owen Connolly, wife Mary Carolan Connolly, and son Michael J. Connolly born April 17, 1861 in Wales.  Owen and Mary were born in Ireland and, I believe were from County Monaghan, Meath, or Cavan.  I do not have ages for either Owen or Mary.  I believe they married in 1860.  I know the family left for the United States 1862-1863.  I believe they immigrated through Canada as no US passenger arrival seems to fit.  They settled first in Johnstown, PA.  Owen worked in the iron works, I presume.  They then moved to Pittsburgh where Owen continued in an iron works company.  Owen died about 1868-1870.  Mary died about 1871-1873.  There were three children orphaned:  Michael J. b. April 1861, Richard, b. May 1867, and a girl.

I guess I'm way off topic now.  Sorry.

I have done an exhausting amount of research to get to this point and would appreciate any advice you have.  To even know if Michael J. was Michael Joseph or Michael John would be very helpful.  Every clue counts.

Best wishes,

Len

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census was conducted on the night of the 7th April, so you won't find Michael, but I imagine you knew that?

I will have another look for you, but there is always the possibility that they were still in Ireland.

Did you mean to say that Owen and Mary married in 1860?  Whose were the other children in this case? 

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
I searched the complete BMD indexes

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8964

and failed to find a Michael CONNOLLY born in England or Wales in 1861 - perhaps you should double-check in case I missed him?  His birth cert would certainly be useful!

;)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya all there is a Michael Connolly born Qtr 1862  in Bridgend Glamorgan.I also checked the index and there isnt one I can find in 1861.Where did you get Michaels birthdate from April 1861?Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline lenf03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 06 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi and Thanks to Arranroots and Welsh Lady!

I am certain of Michael's birth, at least as certain as one can be without a record of birth.  The information was obtained from several sources including his application for a marriage license and his death certificate.

The record in Bridgend Glamorgan merits further study and I am now researching church records for his baptism.  The belief, based on family lore, that Owen and Mary were visiting a sister of theirs seems to make sense, especially now.  My thought was that they could have stayed in England for a while before leaving for the USA in 1862-1863.

Since the 1861 Census was indeed taken on April 7, that would clearly mean he could not have been included anyway.  If I can find a Catholic baptism record, I'm in the clover.

Len

Offline YoursMineAndOurs

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 21:56 BST (UK) »
I, too, am descended from Michael J Connolly through daughter Dorothy.  I have been in contact with a grandchild of Richard Connolly (Michael's brother), and have conflicting information.   Michael's death certificate says his father's name was Owen (the same name of his first son) and his mother's surname was Carney; Richard's death certificate says that his parents were Eugene Connolly (same name of his only son) and Marie Carney. 

The informant on Michael's DC was Richard; unfortunately, the address for the informant was Michael's address so the informant could have been his brother or is son.

The informant on Richard's DC was not listed, but since his wife was still living, it was most likely her.

According to genealogy documents written by Richard's daughter Loretta, their was a daughter named Ella born between Michael and Richard, but she gave no more information.  I have no idea whether she was born in Wales, England or USA, if she ever married, or when she died.

Loretta also said that there were three surviving children, so it makes me wonder what happened to all of the other children if the 1861 Wales Census is correct.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated, and you are welcome to what I have.

Thank you in advance,

Patty

Offline Patty Malone

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure that your 1861 census is the correct one for our family.

Michael's brother Richard's father is listed as "Eugene" on his death certificate.  Michael's sister Ellen's death certificate also lists "Eugene."  Michael's death certificate shows "Owen," except Richard M. Connolly, son of Michael, may have recalled hearing their brother "Owen" was named for the grandfather, but maybe Richard did not know that Owen was actually baptized "Eugene" on 31 Oct 1886 at St Michael's.  Since the last post, I found the families of Richard M. Connolly and his sister Mary Ann McBride living at the same address given for the informant on Michael's death certificate.

Also, it was my understanding that there were a total of three children orphaned.  If that was the case, where are all of the other children listed on the 1861 Census?  And why didn't we here about them before?