Author Topic: Tracing ancestors - Liverpool 1890  (Read 1313 times)

Offline nicolac2407

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing ancestors - Liverpool 1890
« on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking to find more information on some of my ancestors -

Elizabeth Cloney married Thomas Grace on 3rd Jan 1880. They had a son, Thomas, in 1881, and are listed in the 1881 census as living in Kirkdale, Liverpool. In 1884 they had a daughter, Beryl (my great-grandmother). However, after this point I can no longer find any record of them - Beryl is listed separately living as a 'lodger' in 1891, and as a 'visitor' to her brother in 1901.

I am just finding it very hard to trace them - there seems no record of their deaths, a divorce, or them living elsewhere. I think they were both originally from Ireland.

Any help finding them or tips on what happened/where to look would be much appreciated! 

Thank you very much in advance!

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing ancestors - Liverpool 1890
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat have you tried this death Thomas Gracie 1890 Liverpool age 39 his ages out by a few years but maybe a possibility

Rosie

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
I cannot see any more births for Grace/Cloney on GRO index after Beryl (Baril), which would cause one to think of a death around then, or a return to Ireland of one of them, and /or a remarriage.

Does Beryl say he is dead on her marriage certificate?

Have you got the son Thomas in 1891?

Sorry, not much help that.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 August 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Good morning Nicola and a warm welcome to Rootschat
sep qtr 1907 in West Derby area of Liverpool
GRACE Beryl ...married CLONEY William ....West Derby, Register Office or Registrar Attended Liverpool REG_WD/240/6
Is this YOUR Beryl ?  if so - it looks like Thomas and Elizabeth were still in Liverpool up to 1907 - Beryl would have been 19 at the marriage - intgrigued that Grace should marry Cloney again - did Beryl stay in Liverpool?....yes she did - children
William Thomas 1908
Ann 1909
Irene E 1912
Robert 1915
Mary 1917
M******* 1920 may be alive
J**** 1923 may be alive
J*** 1927 - may be alive
so - if this is your Beryl I would have thought Thomas and Elizabeth would have stayed in Liverpool - what was Thomas Grace occupation and have you checked whether he died in WW1 ?...if so Did Elizabeth re marry ?  maybe that's why you can't find either of them
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 August 17 07:27 BST (UK) »
Where did you get the info they were from Ireland ?
ADDED
Ok - 1881 census has
Thomas Grace b 1848 aged 33 b Ireland - Dock Labourer
Elizabeth Grace b 1849 aged 32 b Ireland - wife
Thomas aged 0 b Liverpool
Margaret Kerwan - Niece - aged 18 b 1863 Ireland - servant

as they are 33 and 32 having their first child - I wonder if either of them had been  before ? ...
I wonder if Elizabeth was a Kerwan and married a Cloney ?
try looking for records of Margaret Kerwan - could they be with her in a  census ?

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thomas Grace born 1881 and Beryl Grace born 1884 both have mmn Cloney in the GRO records, so Elizabeth had not been married before.

Offline Ringrose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 August 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
There are lots of Liverpool records on line on Ancestry.Also Lancashire OPCs may be of help.Try Googling the name of the place or people youvare researching ...You often get some results.
Mann Ringrose Prior( West London)Prior (Halstead Colchester and Sudbury)Ringrose (Northants) Clark(sussex  Bath)Light(Shropshire West London)Barber(Northants)Gaudern (Northants)Piper(Suffolk)Carter (Essex)Nightingale,Stiles,Dunk,Hedgecock(Kent)Mann(south Devon )Le Cronier,Le Quesne,Poingdestre,Esnouf,Le Guyt,Anley.Le Carteret(Jersey)Clark(Bath,Batcombe,and Nyland )
er(essex)Nightingale(kent Sussex)Sutton (sussex)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 August 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
There is this possible birth for Margaret Kerwin, if one allows for errors in spellings

Margaret Kerwin, born 15th June 1862, baptised 16th June 1862 in Rathangan, Wexford,
Parish Variants:   Cleariestown, Duncormuc, Duncormuck, Kilmannon
illegitimate child
Father : Michael Kerwin, Mother : Margaret Cleary  The name Cleary could be Cloony.

On the same page of the records book there appear to be baptisms for both Cleary and Cloney

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 August 17 09:35 BST (UK) »
There is this possible birth for Margaret Kerwin, if one allows for errors in spellings

Margaret Kerwin, born 15th June 1862, baptised 16th June 1862 in Rathangan, Wexford,
Parish Variants:   Cleariestown, Duncormuc, Duncormuck, Kilmannon
illegitimate child
Father : Michael Kerwin, Mother : Margaret Cleary  The name Cleary could be Cloony.

On the same page of the records book there appear to be baptisms for both Cleary and Cloney

That's interesting on the marriage of Thomas grace 1880 one of the witnesses looks like a Helena Cleary ?