Author Topic: Parents of Thomas Corby, born 1761, Enfield  (Read 487 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Parents of Thomas Corby, born 1761, Enfield
« on: Wednesday 09 August 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thomas Corby was born in 1761, in Enfield. Child of John and Sarah Corby. Can anyone find any records for John or Sarah? I did find one 1754 marriage record, but it was from Westminster I think. Primarily interested in John Corby.

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of Thomas Corby, born 1761, Enfield
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 00:39 BST (UK) »
I did find one 1754 marriage record, but it was from Westminster I think.

From the marriage register ...
16 January 1754
John Corby Husbandman of Enfield Middlesex Bat(chelor) and Sarah Damon of the same spinster

This is from one of Fleet marriage registers, and it wasn’t necessarily in Westminster, despite the transcription. These marriages were ‘clandestine’ and took place in a variety of venues, mainly around the Fleet and King’s Bench prisons, and at the Mayfair Chapel (which was in Westminster). They were curtailed by Hardwicke’s Marriage Act, later in 1754.

There’s a good explanation here ...
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/nonconformists/#4-fleet-registers-clandestine-marriages-and-baptisms-in-london-1667-1754

ADDED
One whole register for St Andrew Enfield in the mid-1700s is missing from Ancestry’s collection. This may limit your ability to search that parish online.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for all the information!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. Good luck with the search.