Author Topic: Susan Hodds, Caister's Oldest Native  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Coverdale1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan Hodds, Caister's Oldest Native
« on: Thursday 10 August 17 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I have been researching my Hodds relatives from Norfolk and discovered that my 3x great grandmother Susan Hodds (nee Goodings/Goodens), who was born in the 1840s, lived to the rather impressive age of 94. I have found a few newspaper articles in which she is referred to as "Caister's oldest native", and found out that when she died the flag at the lifeboat station was flown at half-mast, which I thought was rather lovely.

I would love to know more about Susan Hodds, if anyone is researching this line or knows anything about her please let me know.

I have seen her referred to as a fisherwoman, and I know that her husband, George Benjamin Hodds, was killed in the Zephyr lifeboat disaster in 1885, leaving her widowed with 10 children. Given that she lived such a long life, I had expected that there would be a few photographs of her, but so far I have been unable to find any. If anyone knows of the existence of any photos of Susan, please let me know!

Apologies for the long post, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read it!

Offline Duodecem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Hodds, Caister's Oldest Native
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 August 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
I have Hodds in my tree too, that may be distantly related to yours. None from Caister that I know of-but there were several generations from nearby-Repps, Winterton and Thurne. The men were all sailors/seamen, according to the baptismal records of their children. Maybe yours were too?
The Flegg Island site is worth looking at: http://www.fleggisland.co.uk/Hodds.html
If you don't find your direct ancestors there you may find other names that are worth looking at. There are also Goodens on the site. If you go to the home page you'll find many other records that may be of interest to you.
Cooper- Berks, Herts, Wrexham,Birmingham
Garrett- London, Berks
Morton-Berkshire
Harvey- Essex
Hambling, Royal,Dale,Jackson, Tann, Boatwright Edridge/Etheridge/Uttridge -all Norfolk
Osborne-Norfolk and Northumberland/Durham

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 August 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
I see Susans Mother Martha lived to age 93. :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Coverdale1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the replies!

Trish1120 indeed she did, I only found out her age two days ago. There are clearly some good genes in the Goodings line! Sadly Martha spent the best part of 60 years in a Widow's home in Caister after her husband John passed away.

Janfurness, we are probably distantly related! My Hodds' came from Winterton originally, but moved to Caister and became involved in salvage work with the lifeboat. Most of my Hodds relatives were fishermen or lifeboatmen just like yours. I have used this site many a times, it has been so useful! I was told that the Hodds' were originally from France, but I don't know for definite that this is true. It would be nice if I could trace the line back that far, but I've only got as far as the 1790s, so I have quite a way to go.