Author Topic: Aprilovic Family  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aprilovic Family
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 August 17 06:09 BST (UK) »
I have to go to work now so no more  contact till tomorrow. Thank you for your help so far.
Robyn

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 August 17 06:11 BST (UK) »
were you aware that Fred Aprilovic found Capt Cooks Anchor whilst diving in Cairns bay in 1979 ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 August 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Why is a Serbian birth certificate written in English?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 August 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
It seems unlikely he is the grandson of Peter I; Peter I didn't marry until 1883, after Marko was born. I also can't find a Russian warship Odessa, although there were merchant ships by that name around. Often these stories gain a few additional decorative details as they travel through the family, and if he was orphaned at a young age he might not have been given a full and accurate picture by whoever raised him, so you should question every detail and look to find additional proof.

The "birth certificate" might more accurately be described as a translation of an extract of baptism.  It does not say he was born in Split, but in Solin, within presumably the diocese of Split.  St Stephen is a church there, but it is not a cathedral. I would prioritise getting an original, untranslated copy of this parish register, to see what information there is in it. There may be some errors in the translated copy, and information may be left out.

I also suggest getting a copy of his marriage certificate, which ought to have details of parents as he gave them at the time - hopefully a first name for his mother! She might turn out to be easier to trace, as I think her name is Jelačić and there was a noble family by that name.

Interestingly, in some early NZ/Australian shipping records he seems to be listed as older than a 1880/1 birth would suggest:
May 1903, "M Aprilovich",  aged 28
http://marinersandships.com.au/1903/05/087bal.htm
also December 1903, "Marks Aprilovies" ( think the original is "Aprilovic" or "Aprilovice"), aged 29
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6R49-KMQ?i=2&cc=1609792

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 12 August 17 01:38 BST (UK) »
Original Baptism Certificate

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 August 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
Did not know About Fred Aprilovic's find, but knew they all excellent surfers..Haven't had time to do much family research, am engulfed in finding any Aprilovics  in other parts of the World but there is none.
I realise that Family members can pass exagerated information down the generations.  Marko still has one son alive aged 93yrs who I wish to visit very soon, on the other side of Australia. Hopefully will get a copy of the Marriage Certificate
Marko was a seaman so The Odessa would be more likely a merchant ship. Marco was 67yrs when he died in 1948, so I'd like to think he was born in 1881.
Thank you everyone for your help so far..  Robyn

Offline Matthew Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 December 17 06:18 GMT (UK) »
I believe you mean Frank Aprilovic, well at least he preferred that name.  He was my now deceased great uncle.

I have also heard stories of being related to royalty in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, however to a Baroness from the Kingdom of Dalmatia.  I don't have this information at hand but my grand mother does.

Really appreciate all this fascinating information people have shared.  Thank You.

P.s maybe I'm related to you Robyn?

Offline Robynkc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 December 17 03:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matthew,  yes we are related.  Your great-great grandmother Catherine (Condran) Doyle and my great grandfather Joseph Condran were sister and brother. Not sure on Frank and Frederick Aprilovic. I have info on Fred but not Frank. I have rung Peter Aprilovic aged 94yrs and his son Mark on several occasions and plan to visit them in NSW.  I live in Western Australia.
Cheers Robyn Condran

Offline Matthew Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 December 17 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn,
That's very interesting. 

Have they been able to confirm any further details relating to Marko's past for you?  I'd be interested to hear anything further that you are happy to share.

Also, do you find it odd that the birth certificate/baptism paper states different family names for Marko's mother and father and no first name for his mother? 

Cheers,
Matthew