Author Topic: Help with a service record on FindMyPast  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with a service record on FindMyPast
« on: Friday 11 August 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but I'm hoping so.

I've just found a link on FindMyPast for a relatives service record. The transcribed details are correct and is definitely him but when I click on the original image button it shows someone else's record.

His details are Z/3861 AB William Clements (born 19 May 1896 in North Shields) and it looks like he was in the Anson Bn, Royal Naval Division.

His record is also on the NA website but obviously that has to be paid for.

Does anyone know any tricks to find his correct record or will I have to bite the bullet and buy it? I know it's only £3.50 but those £3.50's mount up quickly and I've already paid for my FindMyPast subscription.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a service record on FindMyPast
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Bring the image down and then you see his name and his DOB is there on the right side.  :)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 August 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The name and DOB match but that's all, it's the wrong place of birth, address and basically everything else.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
All I see is his DOB and storeman no address. He's in the Tyneside Division of RNVR

There is a description of him. His term of service - 3yrs and on what vessels he served and his conduct, info about pension etc on his release. There is only 1 page sorry hit the button too early got distracted, there is only 1 page of main items with a second with a small amount of further service history re ships.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:03 BST (UK) »
The second page has same number but different name and only a couple of references re ships so discount 2nd page.

Where your man was born is not filled in, I don't understand what you are seeing.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:06 BST (UK) »
There are two records, one links to William Clements born 19 May 1896, in the Tyneside reserve, the other gives the same DoB and an address of 86 Charlotte Street, North Shields on the transcript page but opens up to a chap from Wakefeld. 

I've submitted an error report but still trying to find the 'correct' record somehow.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:11 BST (UK) »
I put in the military section - name YOB and service number and I appear to have the correct page.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Which record set are you looking at?  There's one from 'British Royal Naval Reserve 1899-1930' which seems to be the correct chap but gives no personal details, and one from 'Royal Naval Division Service Records 1914-1920' which brings up the right transcript, including home address,  but wrong image.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 August 17 13:19 BST (UK) »
British Royal Naval Reserve 1899 - 1930

This is the only one coming up for me.
GEDmatch M157477