Author Topic: Welsh to English translation needed please.  (Read 2766 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Welsh to English translation needed please.
« on: Friday 11 August 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a small piece found in Welsh Newspapers online regarding my Evan Thomas, Carncelyn, Ystradyfodwg, which appears with other Rhondda names entitled 'Cwm Rhondda'    Sadly I have little Welsh.

Many thanks for any help offered.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh to English translation needed please.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 August 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
Roughly as follows:

(The Prize is shared between three. The three essays are published in the “Rhondda Leader” )
The late Mr Evan Thomas carncelyn, was a man who those who knew him trusted their lives to his care

A man who those who knew j=him trusted their lives to, was Mr Evans, Carncelyn, one of the most respected natives of the valley.
True, he was not considered orthodox, but of his rectitude, we heard of no one doubt that ever.
No matter what his religious holdings, we know that saying the truth, living honestly, and not being in debt of anything to anyone, were the cornerstones of his faith; and a faith such as this is not a poor one.
He held fast to the old ways of the land of his fathers, and as far as we know, he was the last of the inhabitants of the Rhondda Valley to continue to give a pair of hand made blankets to his maids and servants who served him for seven unbroken years.
Some of the customs of the East were in his view hateful, but this didn’t prevent him from adopting that which he felt was good in their customs.

Pity for honest Mr Thomas, the biggest mistake of his life was selling a place so rich in coal as Carncelyn for eight hundred pounds, instead of as much as at least of thousands of that. He was very sorry for his mistake, which was a medicine to embitter the last part of his life to some extent.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 August 17 08:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Sam for this most interesting translation. It gives me a fuller picture now of  Evan Thomas who was my 2x gt grandfather's brother in law.

Many thanks for your time, it is much appreciated.

Jill
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 17 08:27 BST (UK) »
Croeso. Dim problem. Your welcome, no problem. Anything else you find let me know.

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 17 08:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Sam.