Author Topic: Tracing McGreevy (Sometimes spelled McGreevey)Family in Belfast  (Read 5299 times)

Offline EBMCG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing McGreevy (Sometimes spelled McGreevey)Family in Belfast
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 August 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinann

Thank you I think this must be a sister of James as on the 1901 Census he has a niece living with him called Ester Ferman but this must be Feenan.  She is 15 years old which would correlate with the marriage. I wonder what happened to his sister and her husband.  Does "of Full Age" simply mean they were over 16 years old?  I am going to try and find a birth record for Sarah to confirm.  Thank you so much.

EMcG

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 August 17 14:04 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ellen Feenan, age 31, married, wife of salesman, died of pneumonia in 1894-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05952/4691481.pdf

Sarah born c1863 so there will be no birth certificate.

James Feenan married (1896) Margaret Russell-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1896/10487/5819313.pdf
Children: Peter (23 Feb.1897), Bridget (17 Aug.1899), Joseph (5 Aug.1900). Ann (8 July 1903), Margaret (15 June 1905), Josephine (8 Mar.1907), Patrick (12 Aug.1908), Michael (20 July 1912)

James & family in 1911-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Victoria__part_of_/Station_Road/231603

James in 1901- son James from 1st marriage here-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ormeau/London_Street/1211259

Some of the children from 1st marriage in 1901-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Downpatrick_Urban/The_Gullion/1228350
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Yellowclam

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 September 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
EBMCG. can you contact me again with your contact number. Re The Vesta painting.

Offline OUI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 02 April 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
Just spent the weekend on ancestry.co.uk and GRONI and I feel that I have traced my family on my dad's maternal side back to Richard McGreevy born in 1817- d. 1900. He is noted as father of the groom on my great great grandfather John McGreevy's marriage certificate. John Mc Greevy married Margaret Brunton on 29th November, 1873 in Belfast and was married from 22 Pilot Street. John Mc Greevy's  occupation is noted as 'sailor' and Richard McGreevy is noted as 'sea captain' on the certificate. If this is correct, it would mean that Richard McGreevy is my great, great, great grandfather. Like you I have come to a stop because I would love to find his marriage and birth certificate. Would also love it if you would share anything you find and will too.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 April 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)  Not sure if original poster had lost interest in tracing this family anymore since they never responded to last few posts here although they have been logged in since then.

Civil registration of births started in 1864 so there will be no birth certificate for Richard born c1817. He might also have married before 1845 (registration of non-Catholic marriages started)/1864 (registration of all marriages commenced). For earlier dates you'll need to search to see if any church records survive.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OUI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 April 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 01:53 BST (UK) »
There are strong indications that Richard McGreevey's wife was Sarah McGraw / McGrath and that he had a sister Ann Jane McGreevey.

The St. Malachy's church record version of the previously mentioned marriage of James Feenan and Sarah McGreevy on 22 July 1885 identified both parents of the bride, namely Richard and Sarah McGreevey of 25 Ship Street.   

Then this from the Irish News and Belfast Morning Post of 29 October 1894:
FEENAN-October 27, at the residence of her father (Captain Richard McGreevy), 25 Ship Street, Sarah Ellen, the dearly beloved wife of James Feenan.- R.I.P. [Her remains will be removed from above address for interment in Greencastle Roman Catholic burying-ground, this day (Monday), 29th inst., at one o'clock.  Friends will please accept this intimation. English, American and Australian papers please copy.]

When I checked Greencastle RC Graveyard inscriptions, I found this:
Erected by Richard McGreevy, in memory of his beloved wife Sarah McGreevy, who departed this life 4th August 1864, aged 37 years, also John McGreey [sic], who died 31st October 1909, and John McGreevy, who died 12th September 1963, also his wife Mary, who died 14th September 1963, RIP

Sarah McGreavey's 1864 civil death record shows that she died at 42 Pilot Street Belfast and identified her as the wife of Richard McGreavey (branch pilot), the informant was her 'sister-in-law' Ann Jane Madden of 17 Trafalgar Street Belfast.  Note that an Ann Jane 'McGreary' (McGreavy?) married Michael Madden on 13 July 1847 in St. Patrick's RC Church Belfast.

A Sarah Ellen McGreavey was baptised on 25 August 1861 in St. Patrick's RC Church Belfast for parents Richard McGreavey and Sarah McGraw (right page, 5 lines up from bottom):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633210#page/190/mode/1up

For same named parents, the St. Patrick's register also shows a son John baptised on 2 February 1850 (right page, 17 lines down from top):
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633209#page/175/mode/1up

There are also St. Patrick's baptisms for Sarah (1854) and Isabella (1860) listed under Richard McGreevy and Sarah McGrath (phonetically very similar if not identical). And a marriage in St. Patrick's for Richard McGreavy and Sarah McGrath on 4 May 1845.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 02:21 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure why the mother of this child Isabella read 'Isabella' rather than 'Sarah' McGrath:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1864/03629/2340002.pdf

The child only lived one hour and her death was registered by her father Richard McGreevy, described as the captain of a tug steamer living at 45 Pilot Street.  As previously indicated, Sarah McGreevy died just over 5 months later, perhaps tellingly, the cause of death was 'cancer of womb - one year'.