Author Topic: Dand deaths in Quebec  (Read 1825 times)

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dand deaths in Quebec
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 August 17 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the explanation as my search engine was not giving showing me any options on the renaming of Memorial Gardens.  Find a Grave only shows 774 entries for this cemetery and naturally none of the ones I hoped to find, presume still a work in progress for this group and location.

I found the (English) website for Urgel Bourgie Memorial Gardens but they do not have a Genealogy link, nor even an e-mail contact listed the offices, although lots of other information  :).  Perhaps at some point I will call and ask if they can provide a grave location but I now have the DOD's and the Obits which are most important.

Thank you again and Cheers,
Jo
McGown - Ireland, Renfrewshire, Lancashire, Antrim, Canada
Dand - Fife
Hoey - Lanarkshire, Lancashire

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 August 17 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I did check last night the Urgel website. Brings you around in circles and gets you nowhere. :P

I was going to suggest that you add them to Find A Grave (it's free to join) and then request
a photo, but I see there are a number of open requests dating back to 2015. After your dogged
plodding, you may wish to do it anyway, just to have their names and info out there.

You may already have this, James Stuart Robertson husband of Jessie, is in the same cemetery. His obit is in the Gazette, March 8, 1961, page 37.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19610308&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Cheers,
DB

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 August 17 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi DB,

Yes, the Urgel website was circular to say the least :P.  Given the current interest in family research I was surprised there was no link or direction given such as provided by other like facilities.

Thank you for info on Stuart Robertson, I was going to circle back to see if I could find the husbands.  Both had one liners in the Ottawa paper so was hoping for something more locally with specifics.  Ethel's husband had a notice in the Feb 1. edition of the Ottawa paper but I see that the January editions of the Gazette are not available.  I presume that Frank McFetrich is also buried in Memorial Gardens so I may have to follow up with Urgel either by calling or snail mail. Surely I can't be the only person looking for older records these days.  At least they are on one site now and your thoughts on Find a Grave bear consideration.

I am over the moon with the information we have found.  I still cannot positively date and identify the fourth sister in the family photo pre/post Mabel's passing in 1941, so Mabel or Margaret in the photo.  I will continue to pour through the old photos and hope something there helps.

I have bookmarked the news site as I know it will come in handy again. ;)

Cheers,
Jo

Dand - Fife

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Glad to have been of help.  :)

Are you looking for Jan. 1963, it is available. Jan. 1964 isn't.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19630115&b_mode=2&hl=en

Cheers,
DB

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
DB,
Thanks for the nudge, I probably typed in the wrong date.  I did go back and check and it appears there was more than one John McFetrick living in Montreal or in this case Pointe Claire.  I was actually looking for John Francis McFetrick and assumed the Francis was omitted.  The Gazette Obit was more detailed than the Ottawa Journal item and mentioned the wife's name which was not Ethel Dand.  So, I am back square one and hoping another clue to Frank's death crops up either on-line or in the boxes I am sorting through.  And failing that, I have will have lots of browsing in the Montreal Gazette (accompanied by a glass or wine, or two!) ;)

Hoping for more successes,
Cheers,
Joellen
Dand - Fife

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

Ah yes, there is a 1929 marriage in Montreal for John McFetrick and Eva Mitchell.

I had a quick peek at the Montreal directories,
1964-1965 McFetrick, J. F. (E), emp. BT Co. (BT is Bell Telephone)
1965-1966 McFetrick, Ethel (widow Frank)

Not helpful that they do split years after 1963. I am not seeing an online death for a John/Francis/Frank.

Fingers crossed that something pops up in your boxes or ...................plod plod sip, plod sip sip,
sip sip sip = another success. ;D

Cheers,
DB

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 August 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
I saw your post on Ethel's phone listing as I just finished checking 1969.  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.....  Lots of plodding, sip, sip. ;D  followed....

I started at Sep 1964 assuming changes would be needed at the publisher 2-3 months before year end for the 1965 "widow" entry i worked backwards, but got through all of 1964 without any luck, started last night and finished today.  At that point I was hoping I had not missed the entry or that the missing editions (all of Jan 1964) were not the ones I needed. Considering that if Frank may have died before the publishers deadline for the 1964 Directory, then it was possible Ethel had been a widow during 1964 also.  Fortunately I was successful on the second item for 1963 which I checked.  Frank passed away Dec 1, 1963 and is buried at Montreal Memorial Gardens also.  The Obit was in the Dec. 3 paper.

While I could not search the papers, most editions had an index on Page 1 which was reasonably accurate. With the Go To page number inserted it became quicker checking each edition. It was quite interesting to see the old headlines and recall events from the 60's. 

I appreciate your help as I would not have gotten the Dand family "wrapped up" so to speak without your suggestions.

Many thanks and Cheers!
Jo

Dand - Fife

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 August 17 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

You have certainly brushed up on your sip/plodding skills in the last little while. ;D  Well done.

Cheers, and my pleasure,
DB