Author Topic: Dand deaths in Quebec  (Read 1819 times)

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dand deaths in Quebec
« on: Saturday 12 August 17 02:22 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the death records for John Oliphant Dand and his wife Catherine Dand nee Smith who I believe passed away between 1941 and 1949 in Montreal, Quebec.

Daughter Mabel Smith died in 1941,was buried at  Howthorpedale with "John Dand" a witness on the burial so John was still alive then.  A family photo, possibly taken in 1943, (which I am dating knowing the family was together in Montreal before my father entered the Royal Canadian Navy Air Force), shows John and Catherine with their daughters Jessie, Ethel, Catherine and (I think) Margaret, Mabel being already deceased. I am basing the date on the suit my grandmother Catherine is wearing (in other photos) so this photo is either 1943 or 1941 before Mabel passed away.  I am unable to positively identify Mabel or Margaret in any photos I have so this is a problem.

I have found marriage records for daughters Jessie and Ethel and obits in the Ottawa paper for their husbands deaths so there are records of this family.  I have a family photo showing Catherine Smith Dand in Montreal captioned the "winter of 1947-48".  With no photo of John Dand I am assuming he has already died. There was a family wedding in September 1948 in Mount Royal but no photos including Catherine, a bit unusual as it was the wedding of her oldest grandson.  But I have been unable to find any record of her death during this period.

John was born in 1868 in Auchtermuchy, Fife, while Catherine Smith was born in 1867 in Aberdeen and arrived in Canada with their family, (Matthew George, Margaret, Catherine, Jessie, Ethel,Mabel) in 1912 settling in Montreal area. Any information or suggestions/leads of where to look for their death records is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jo

McGown - Ireland, Renfrewshire, Lancashire, Antrim, Canada
Dand - Fife
Hoey - Lanarkshire, Lancashire

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dand deaths in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 August 17 09:07 BST (UK) »
Dand, used in Scotland for Andrew!

Skoosh.

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 20:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Skoosh.  I did not know that.

Looking at my tree, there are several named Andrew Dand.  Interesting!  I also recall my Grandmother nee Dand calling all her little dogs "Dandy", so her little play on the surname no doubt.

jojo
Dand - Fife

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 August 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not seeing deaths for John or Catherine. :P

As Mabel is buried in Hawthorn-Dale cemetery, perhaps they may also be there.

Hawthorn-Dale cemetery is owned and operated by Mount Royal Cemetery group, and there is a
burial location search (free) or further research for a fee of $5.00. Explanation here, click on the Genealogy Form.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=639448

Cheers,
DB

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 August 17 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You can also check the Montreal and suburbs directories to see when John disappears. Select letter,
and year.
http://stevemorse.org/montreal/montreal2.html

One of the main newspapers in Montreal was the Montreal Gazette, you can browse it here. Unfortunately it isn't searchable by name, just by date.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC

Cheers,
DB

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 August 17 00:43 BST (UK) »
DB

Thank you for your search suggestions.

I saw the Montreal Cemetery Group site last week and searched with no luck.  Tried again today as I was not sure I was using it correctly, still nothing.  Double checked using Mabel Smith/nee Dand and she showed up. So I searched correctly on the site, just no parents to be found.

The family likely attended Westmount United Church/Melville as Mabel's burial 1941, Jessie's marriage 1933 and Ethel's marriage 1938 show up but I cannot find any records after 1941 on the A* website for Drouin records.  The name is sometimes mis-transcribed as "Daud" and I checked that but still no success.

I went through the directories from your link and found listings for John Dand from 1941 to 1947 at 5936 Iberveille.  Did not check earlier dates based on Mabel's death.  So am assuming (referencing my father's photo notes) that wife Catherine likely died sometime in 1948 . 

At this time I am plodding through the Montreal Gazette link that you sent me hoping to find an obituary for Catherine Dand.  Have completed March 1948, so many more to go and hoping that something was actually submitted by the daughters and it is not one of the missing editions.

So, plodding along ::)

Jo

Dand - Fife

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 August 17 01:27 BST (UK) »
 :)
Wow! I got lucky! 
I just found obit for John Dand, "died May 2 1948, beloved husband of the late Catherine Smith...Funeral at DA Collins Chapel, on Tuesday.. to Montreal Memorial Park."  However, searching on Montreal Memorial Park, it seems to come up as Notre-Dame des Neiges.  Are they one and the same?

So back to looking for Catherine, one down, one to go!
Thanks so much for the Gazette link!

Jo
Dand - Fife

Offline jojoMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 August 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
Eureka :o
Plodding along through the Montreal Gazette (and a glass or 2 of wine later) I found Catherine Dand died January 25 1948, burial arrangements to be determined.

Thank you DB for the Gazette link, fortunately I did not have to plod through too many issues and they were ones that still survive digitally.  This has been a huge brick wall so tickled pink it has been broken.

Now on to the next (after a celebratory glass, of course!) ;D

Cheers,
Jo

Dand - Fife

Offline dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 18 August 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

You're welcome.  :)

Excellent plodding, well done. Plodding is always easier with a glass or 3. ;D  John and Catherine
died within months of each other....I always find that bittersweet, as one couldn't go on without
the other. :(

Notre Dame des Neiges is/was the Catholic cemetery. Montreal Memorial Park is now known as Les Jardins Urgel Bourgie. Explained here.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1986584

Even though the Drouin Collection has the dates 1621-1967, it is slim pickings after 1947.

Cheers,
DB