Author Topic: What does the reference number mean on Scotlandspeople?  (Read 6780 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: What does the reference number mean on Scotlandspeople?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:07 BST (UK) »
as the other entries on the page say "daughter of", I think I can rule her out.

I haven't been lucky enough to have found a pre statutory death on SP of my own but...

Out of interest, what does it actually say about that particular Elisabeth please?

Just incase she is your person & the informant didn't know who her parents were?

I don't know what a death entry pre 1855 says although I think I may have one (searched for a friend) & I'm almost sure there were no parental details on that one either?

I will check although it may have been a death entry from an index (burial possibly) as it was so long ago I forget now?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:31 BST (UK) »
There's no info at all really - it says "1808 March 24 Elizabeth Lamont Dalkeith".
The entry for Mary Lamont further down the page says "1808 March 31 Mary Lamont Dalkeith"
whereas another entry has more detail - it says "Mary McKay daughter to Alexander McKay Edinburgh Militia."

As the Elizabeth Lamont I'm looking for was also the daughter of an Edinburgh Militia man, I think it would have said so if it was the right death.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 August 17 03:46 BST (UK) »
another entry has more detail - it says "Mary McKay daughter to Alexander McKay Edinburgh Militia."

As the Elizabeth Lamont I'm looking for was also the daughter of an Edinburgh Militia man, I think it would have said so if it was the right death.

I wouldn't read too much into that as it may be down to a lot of different things e.g. age of the person at time of death, parents may still have been alive whereas an older person & parents deceased the informant may not have known such details?

I'm not saying it is/isn't your woman but there are things you can consider which may answer why her parents/father isn't mentioned?

Have you searched for a burial which may give more?

Was she married & if so, who to & have you found his death & details?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 August 17 05:49 BST (UK) »
The one I'm looking for would have been a young child, born 1807. She had a sister, also Elizabeth born 1828 which suggested she'd died as  a child. The one who died in 1808 is the only one who comes up in that time frame, so maybe it is her.
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
I don't know what a death entry pre 1855 says
It's very variable. The least informative ones just give a name, or in the case of a young child just the father's name. Sometimes a married woman is just listed as 'so-and-so's wife' and a widow may be just 'widow so-and-so'. Other than children, you don't get parents' names.

A couple of examples of the more informative ones from my own tree

January 1823. 23. The Corps of Sarah Alexander wife of Charles Guthrie farmer Parish of Glenbervie was intrd. [Brechin Burial Register 1782-1832, Angus Archives]

Mary Elmslie or Scott, 9 Sep 1847, (born) Parish of Tannadice, consumption, Wife of George Scott, Ironmonger, King Street [Dundee Howff Burials at www.fdca.org.uk/HowffInitE.pdf]
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian.....although no surprise, as other OPRs (some better than others).

Hi Jang,

I did a quick search of the index for all Lamont (fuzzy matching) option in Dalkeith (OPRs) & out of 12 listed it seems a hit or a miss.

Only 4 had parent(s) listed, 1 being (presumably yours) Jean Lamont, dau of 'Coldwels/James Lamond' i.e. I would expect she was single too?

Although Forfarian did say info. was variable, not all deaths were registered hence why I have none (so far) sadly.

It is however possible your Eli(s/z)abeth may be recorded on a MI or burial index with extra info?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Jang, this may give you some avenues to explore...

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/MLN/Dalkeith

Annie

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 14 August 17 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Annie, I've never done a fuzzy search before and you've found some deaths that I never could. And it's no wonder - Agnes Hitchener Lamont born 1818 comes up as: Lamon Augnest Hutchiner! The handwriting must be almost illegible.

Yes, Jean Lamont, dau of Coldwels/James Lamond is mine but not single - she was Jean Coldwalls married to James Lamond, the parents of the above Agnes Hitchener Lamont.

Thanks also for the genuki ref - I'd forgotten how useful they can be.

Jan
England:

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 14 August 17 01:42 BST (UK) »
Jean Lamont, dau of Coldwels/James Lamond is mine but not single - she was Jean Coldwalls married to James Lamond, the parents of the above Agnes Hitchener Lamont.

Thanks also for the genuki ref - I'd forgotten how useful they can be.

"Lamon Augnest Hutchiner".....must have been a monday morning entry after a good weekend  ::)

I see why I didn't pick up the 'Coldwels' for Jean, I hadn't changed my search criteria in the surname box....it was a 'quick search'  ;D

It may be worth emailing a few of the sites listed on Genuki...nothing ventured as they say!

Annie

Added....If the actual doc differs from the index (which I'm sure it will) you can email SP with the details & they will refund your credits!