Author Topic: Thought I would share  (Read 2012 times)

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: Thought I would share
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
... and in OH's family ...

1848 May 3 Charles Bellamy 14yr Hung himself & committed suicide & thereof buried at night in the Church yard without religious rights.

Dorset County Chronicle 18 May 1848
Hazelbury Bryan - On Friday, the inhabitants of this place were much shocked on being informed that a lad named Bellamy, about fourteen years of age, had committed suicide. It appears that the boy's mother is dead, and that his father is of intemperate habits from which circumstances the lad had suffered many deprivations. He committed the act of self-murder by repairing to a neighbours orchard, and there suspended himself to a tree till life became extinct.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 August 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
lets hope he had a better crack, next time round :)  xxx

xin

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Well suicide was a criminal offence, anyone who failed to take their own life could be prosecuted.
I feel sure That the verdict of" balance of mind disturbed " was rather kinder than at first seems.
Perhaps there were regulations re where the body of a suicide victim could be interred,.
Maybe not in a churchyard even.
 But if they were considered not to be responsible for their actions perhaps the exception could be made .I`m just surmising because you can`t just go burying people anywhere than an authorised place.
Some RootsChatter will know.  Viktoria.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 17 23:55 BST (UK) »
Poor lad. I have a few suicides in my family, but none are youngsters like this boy.
Does that "intemperate habits" mean that  his father was an alcoholic,  or does it mean that his father had violent habits? I suppose it was probably both :'(
Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Poor lad. I have a few suicides in my family, but none are youngsters like this boy.
Does that "intemperate habits" mean that  his father was an alcoholic,  or does it mean that his father had violent habits? I suppose it was probably both :'(
Kind regards

Nothing known for certain, but it seems that father could not cope with 5 children after the death of his wife and so deserted them. Daughter and eldest son (Charles) took responsibility, but maybe that became too much for Charles.
The 1851 census shows that of the 4 remaining children the daughter and elder son (18&14) were in service in Hampshire, whilst the two younger sons (13&10) were lodgers and labourers in the village.
Father moved around Dorset, ending up in Cerne Abbas workhouse where he died in 1880. Buried Piddletrenthide 'aged 82' (actually 76).
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 13 August 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
this is why we need a time machine, to see it as it really - really was :(  so sad.

xin

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 13 August 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
We can't really imagine what it was like for some of these people, can we ?

Of the four children, one son, after his wife died, left his two children with in-laws and left the county, but the other three had long lives - needlewoman, gardener (OH's gt grandfather - she loves gardening) and ostler.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 13 August 17 14:25 BST (UK) »
   As I understand it, the addition of "while not of sound mind" or similar, was a way of removing the criminal element of suicide and allowing proper burial. I don't know when it began to be used, perhaps it just crept in. My relative died in 1863, and was given that verdict.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 13 August 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather killed himself in 1894. He was of an unsound mind and he was buried in an unmarked grave in the local churchyard. It hit local headlines, the works. He used strychnine.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain